1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick B-string Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stitchz, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Hi all!

I recently bought a warwick corvette $$ (doublebuck) 5str. I like the bass itself, but the strings it came with are definately not to my liking. I've always used D'addario EXL170 for my previous 4str, so I ordered a pack of EXL170 for my 5str warwick.

To my surprise the B string didn't fit. This is my first 5str bass, so I expected the B strings from D'addario to be compatible. Now I know better.

So, I'm looking for either single EXL170-type B-strs that are compatible with my bass, or any other brand that has similar string type, but are for certain compatible with the warwick. The D'addario webpage was not really informative about this, and I can't register into their forums (I think their database isn't working right).

What I don't like about the warwick strings is that they are very harsh and just feel like they are shredding my fingers :\ and they now look like it, too. Mind you, I have been playing bass for over quite some time (>12 yrs) so it's not the case of "new" fingers.

If anyone can help on this, please do. Thanks :)

2. The warwick strings are probably their "black Labels" which are stainless, and very harsh.

You can either have the string retainer for the B filed a bit wider, or just look for strings with a tapered B.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah I had a hard time getting the low B on when I had a warwick , you really need the tapered low B on those warwick bridges.

4. Hey. If you are talking about the string being too thick at the string anchor, its a common problem on warwicks. The only answers I have is to either use taperwounds or do what I do & "squash" the string at this end so it does fit. I use a pair of vice grips & it doesnt have any effect on how the string sounds as you squash only the part that sits in the anchor before the bridge. Hey whats simple and works is worth a shot!
    Cheers.

5. you may place order for d'addario single "B" with taper via juststring.com

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1...

I always used to get caught with this issue. I put my B String in a vice Grip and cranked it and sure enough, the thing eventually fit into the ball slot before the bridge.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Just sqeeze the base of the windings with some needle nose pliars. I like DR high beams on my Warwick.

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    +1

I thought I was doing something wrong at first.....:D