Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick bass copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tr3bleki113r, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Are these Warwick copies (Speckters I believe they were called) as good as the original or just a cheap knockoff? I played my friend Warwick Streamer LX and it sounded pretty good. Should I give this other bass a try?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Spectors? Copies? Knock-offs? Er...

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    "I smell many many many fine young angry replies to this post!"

-Eric Lassard

:D

doctorwholittle likes this.
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Quick history:
    Hans Peter, the founder and owner of Warwick, paid to use the Spector body style. The design was the brainchild of Ned Steinberger. The Specs are NOT copies, they are the original. Warwicks are actually copies, but they paid to use the design.

5. This reminds me of when I was at a Kinks concert and as they played "You Really Got Me."

I heard some kid behind me say...
    'Hey! Their ripping off Van Halen!'

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL!! My nephew, after hearing me play "Thank You......" by Sly, said, "Hey, you know how to play Rhythm Nation! Cool!"

7. My dumbass singer after hearing me play "Under Pressure" by Queen :"Hey man, that's "Ice Ice Baby"!:D

8. Ned Steinberger designed this body style for Stuart Spector in 1976 (thus named the Spector NS). If I recall correctly, Warwick was taken to court some years back and was told to pay restitution to Spector for the use of this body style.

BTW, welcome to Talk Bass. I'm sure this thread will get lots of replies!!!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Dang, I shouldn't have two windows open at the same time. The uploaded images are in the "Bass with tubes" thread.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This one too.