Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick bass input jack problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Jul 10, 2001.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey, I have a Warwick Infinity LTD bass and it's been making random popping noises...kinda like when you pull the plug on your bass when it's still plugged in an amp. I bought some cheap Sam Ash cables awhile back so I'd have some extra cables and when I wiggle the metal casing when it's plugged in the bass it's pops and stuff. If I use my regular cable and wiggle it it doesn't pop. Now I know it's probably because the head on the plug of the Sam Ash cable has a smaller diameter than my good cable and that's probably why it does that. But I was playing at church the other day and my bass was popping randomly when I was even touching the plug. I switched cables to one of the churches brand new ones but it still popped randomly. I've called Dana B Goods (the US distro.) and the tech guy said it could be a pickup problem because they've had some problems with the bridge pickup. So he told me to pan the pickups back and forth while it was popping and see if it changed anything. well it didnt and he thinks it's probably the jack on my bass. I'm taking it to the repair guy tomorrow but for some reason I don't think he'll be able to fix it (since broken stuff never shows that it's broken when it's in the shop). I've put in a new battery, tried GENTLY wiggling some wires in the control cavity for loose wires, and tried multiple cables, but it still pops randomly. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Or anything that may help?? This is a brand new stinkin' bass, it's like a month old... and it's also $4000...
    Thanks guys!

Chris

2. The jacks on Warwicks are pretty cheap. I had the same problem with mine and so have some friends of mine as well as some people on the board. Do what I did and have it replaced with a good quality jack, it should be fine.

3. I suffered with the same problem with my Streamer.

It was the input jack.

Call Warwick and have them send you a FREE Switchcraft input jack.

I had Warwick send me a FREE Switchcraft input jack and paid $10 for the local music shop to install it. Problem solved.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My Peavey Cirrus was doing that a while back, and all it needed was a good cleaning of the input jack. Try taking a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it and try that first.

5. I have a similar problem but it only happens when I use my fender cables b/c the metal part that goes in is a tiny bit skinnier than the other cables I use. When I use my cheap 5' cables which have a bigger plug, there are no probs! So check that out. Try different cables before you spend a bunch of money.