Warwick Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThebassNoob, Sep 15, 2004.

1. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    like my name says, i am a noob to the bass world. (only been playing since just after last christmas..) i was looking at the Warwick Vampyre and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, if they play well, or how the overall feal of the bass is. The bass i currently have is the Ibanez GSR, i believe it plays well, and has a nice feal, but is not the feal i am quite looking for. So please give me your input/advice as soon as possible.

The Bass Noob
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    no offense but if you think the gsr plays well then youll love a warwick. The gsr is one of the worst playing basses around. Its alright though your already taking a step in the right direction. I beg people to think about other warwicks though. Remeber how cool those boat paddle steinbergers were in the 80s and how many people do you see playing those expensive things nowadays(Mr. Strange's dont count, those are just headless not the paddles) Most of the warwicks play pretty similiar. I have a thumb and its regarded as a great bass for metal, id go with something a little more classic looking if i were you but its your $1500 or more.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My GSR did play very well, if I could fault anything about it I would say the tone was bland. A good bass for the money though.

Also, Ibanez neck profiles are worlds apart from Warwick (old or new) profiles.
  4. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Wow. thanks for all your help guys! I would not have a clue as to were to go if it weren't for you. I will be posting soon with more questions, so if your willing to help yet again just watch!

The Bass Noob
  5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    A Streamer Bass (1991) instead of a Thumb sounds even better to me. There's really fat tone in them. But a lot more then 1500 dollars.

(Accidently I have for a vintage fivestring for sale...shear SPAM :D)
  6. I say get the vampyre is you like deep fat necks, and killer looks and a growly sound.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmmm you mean the Rockbass Vampyre, right?

German Ws have superior construction, tonewoods and lots of little extra features that are just not there on the Rockbasses. Try to get a good used Corvette. They can be had for good prices ($700-600-and even lower) and they are really worth it! (Plus, if you decide to sell it, they keep their price well)
    They also look very nice and have a strong, even growlier tone. :bassist: :hyper:
    However, they are a bit heavy because of the density of bubinga, and the neck might feel a bit big (it did for me for some time - I went from an Ibanez SR300 4-stringer to a corvette 6)
  8. Ahh. if it's the rockbass, it's an ok bass, nothing wrong, but it aint patch on a real warwick. The oinly rockbass that can get near a warwick sounds is the Streamer Standard, it's passive, and uses Carolena wood, which is also used on the full on warwick streamer standard. I get a satisfying growl out of mine.
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    weret you complaing cause you couldnt get growl from your warwicks?
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ROFLMAO, this is great...

I think someone's having some fun here...
  11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, definately... Someone's playing a prank...

Last Activity: Today 03:58 AM Offline
    PostsTotal Posts: 2 (2 posts per day)
  12. I dunno, my roockbass growls whereas my thumb is punchalicious.
  13. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004

Listen!! I just freakin found this website yesterday!! now if your not here to help a kid out, I think you shouldn't post on this thread. All i did was ask the simple question "does the Warwick vampyre play/have a good feal?" so just leave me alone. and no, THIS IS NOT A PRANK.
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok Ok, my mistake...

Re: Vampyre's, there's a thread around here about them... I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
  15. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004

The Bass Noob.
  16. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Honestly, I'd try a number of basses before picking one out. Warwicks are okay and some people swear by them. Others wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. You mention looking for a bass with a different feel - you will absolutely get that with a Warwick. I think Warwicks feel great, but leave a lot to be desired in other areas. IMHO the Vampyre is probably the worst looking bass I've seen in a long time - to me very much a gimmick item targeting a specific audience. As far as tone goes, some people swear by the growl of a Warwick but I don't think it has the anywhere near the growl of some other basses out there (i.e. G&L - like a snarling tiger on the loose, that bass...) and other things like the clarity or glassy high end (if that's your thing). Just my two cents FWIW.

I guess that is why there are many different manufacturers out there - different strokes for different folks. Welcome to TB - there are lots of good folks here that have helped me out a lot.
  17. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    Wow. Things are getting clearer by the post.... I am really starting to like the sound of the warwicks..

Thanks a ton!!
    :bassist: The Bass Noob. :bassist:
  18. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    i am also very new to the bass world, and newer than you XD

the warwicks are really nice, as is everything german, but the main problem with them (if you are gonna preform on stage standing) is that they get REALLY heavy on the neck, your legs get really tired too, but other than the fact that they are heavy, these kick butt, they look good, and they have awesome engineering, so if i were you, and i had 700 bucks, i get a warwick, no doubt about it.