Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Truth2BeLies, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Truth2BeLies

Truth2BeLies

Mar 18, 2000
    Rochester,NY
    I hear Warwick Basses are supposed to be very good. I played one at The House of Guitars and it didn't really impress me that much. I think it's because it was in rough shape cuz The H.O.G. doesn't take care of their instruments.

2. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Which Warwick model did you play? And what element didn't impress you? Was it the playability, the neck, weight, the look?

[This message has been edited by gustat (edited June 29, 2000).]

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It does depend on which one - they have a very large range now, with some cheap budget instruments up to real pro-quality instruments and custom models.Quite a few very good pros play Warwicks now, but I don't think they would be interested in the budget end of the range. [​IMG]

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know exactly what you're used to playing or what your tastes in insruments are. But, there are many who favor sleeker instruments that have refined sounding active electronics. Others simply don't prefer that.

I have an instrument in that category (a Spector), and I'll tell you that I have a hard time with Fenders...But, a huge population of people prefer Fenders to Spectors.

I think you need to be aware of these aspects as well!

Plus, as was mentioned above, the specific instrument that you may have played definitely makes a difference! I've played some Warwicks (mostly their lower line) that suck! I've played some of their higher-line stuff that totally rocks! Not to say that you couldn't easily find great instruments in the lower line or vice versa, but, you do need to consider EVERYTHING!

Perhaps it's just not your taste. But, there IS an aesthetic that does appeal to many players out there that to them, totally separates Warwick or Spector (and others) from the Fender or Jackson crowd.

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I have a warwick thumb 6. I love mine. It has
    a great tone, and it is very playable. The warwicks have a very distinct tone. If you're used to a fender jazz or something like that,
    you may not like it. They are quite attractive
    too. The body of mine is cut out of a beutifull piece of ovencal. It has a really cool figured effect, kind of like tgers eye.
    I've never played one of the lower end ones,
    so I could'nt tell you.

6. I owned two Warrick Nobby Meidel basses
    for ca 15 years ! One fretted one fretless.
    These were one of the first models
    (no head Steinberger style)they were very nice. Today I switched to a 1983 Alembic series I (S.Clarke style) this one is very nice too and the reason for the change was that I feelt the urge for a new babe :)
    and a "new" chalenge.

C.Veltman

[This message has been edited by C.Veltman (edited June 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by C.Veltman (edited June 30, 2000).]

7. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    I was checking out warwicks site and It looks like their "budget" basses are in the region of $1000, I still think that's quite expensive, of course I could be wrong.

------------------
    High Lord Peatroosio has spoken.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peatroosio:
    I was checking out warwicks site and It looks like their "budget" basses are in the region of $1000, I still think that's quite expensive, of course I could be wrong.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would still see that as reasonably-priced (allowing for currency conversion) but they are probably more expensive due to importing into the USA. In the UK, these models are about the same price as a MIM Fender, so to me are "cheap". I personally don't like the Standard Warwicks, but the original Streamer stage models can be about £2,000 over here, which probably mean $4,000 in the US.

9. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Peat.
    US prices on the Corvette and base Streamer start at $779.00

little cash for big bad bass

10. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    I HAVE HAD A FORTRESS 5 (AT THE LOW END OF THE WARWICK LINE) FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS, AND I'VE ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT THE ENTIRE TIME. IT REPLACED ABOUT 4 BASSES. IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT THE ONE YOU TRIED DIDN'T PLAY WELL, BUT REMEMBER...SET UP IS EVERYTHING. IF YOU DONT'T LIKE THE ACTION, ASK THE TECH AT THE STORE TO CHANGE IT...EVEN THE "LOW END" WARWICKS ARE SOME OF THE BEST SOUNDING, PLAYING, AND LOOKING BASSES AROUND. AND DON'T MIND ALL THESE "HIGH END" SNOBS. IT'S ALL IN THE HANDS. A GOOD PLAYER CAN SET UP A $250 DOLLAR BASS AND MAKE IT SOUND BETTER THAN THE EVER MORE COMMON POSER WITH A "HIGH END" A.K.A. EXPENSIVE BASS.

[This message has been edited by WAKOJACO (edited July 09, 2000).]

11. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    I thought low end simply meant BASS.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    WAKOJACO...Someone with an expensive bass doesnt suck because its expensive. Calling them a poser is very offense. Why does have a good bass (AKA EXPENSIVE, RIGHT WAKOJACO?) make them be a poser? Do they suck because the own one? Having a cheap bass doesnt mean you are good, and having an expensive bass doesnt mean you suck. I dont know where you get this, or why youd say this, but im offended.

[This message has been edited by gmstudio99 (edited July 10, 2000).]

13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Let's remember here that basses are possessions. I have a crappy car... does that make me a bad driver? Well, actually, I am, but that doesn't mean that if I got a Lexus that I'd stop driving like an idiot or stop getting speeding tickets.
    You play how you want and you get a bass that makes you happy or comfortable. Check out the cars in traffic. There is a wide range of sizes, costs, features, etc. that you'll see and the people that drive them drive them for a reason... it's what you like.

------------------
    "If I'm the reason you get up in the morning, you'd better find a gun shop and SOON!" - Me

14. BassIsBest

BassIsBest

Jun 7, 2000
    Right on MegaAngus. A bass player should take pride in his or her bass, no matter the cost. I f you are good, you are good with anything, expensive or not. I can't wait to get enough money to upgrade. You are outta line WAKOJACO.

------------------
    4 U

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, people. It's Moderatin' time... (sorry, gm, I was in the neighborhood)

While I think we're all for expressing our opinions openly and honestly, name calling is not acceptable. Waco does bring up a good point, that a good setup can make a decent low end bass a joy to play, while even the most expensive Alembic can be a nightmare to play if it doesn't feel comfortable in a player's hands. As for the "High end snobs" remark, Playing a high end bass doesn't make you a snob, although I can see how the remark might have annoyed some people.

I will say this to Waco, however: Lose the caps, dude. All those Netiquette rules you heard about apply in TalkBass. Let's disagree without being abrasive.

Now for my 2 cents.

I used to own a Warwick Dolphin Pro II and it was a very lightweight bass and a joy to play, although I wasn't thrilled by its sound. Despite all that, I prefered it to the current "budget" Warwicks, which seem to be rougher around the edges, if you know what I mean. I once played a Corvette 6 and it was a great bass. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Try to play as many as you can before deciding whether it's the right bass for you or not.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

16. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks Big Wheel. Took the weekend off and missed the fun here. [​IMG]

Waco: yes, please stop using the ALL CAPS feature in your post. Not only does it imply hostility, but it's very difficult on the eyes to read. Also, the "hands vs. good bass" debate has been through these parts a number of times recently.

-GM

17. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    MegaAngus:

I agree, too, with BW, that name calling is never appropriate. Waco is new to the board and may be unaware of the recent debates here regarding "hands vs. bass" etc.

I have edited your post to remove the insulting remarks. Please feel free to disagree with someone without stooping to name calling. That's not appropriate on this board.

-GM

18. fonqueman

fonqueman

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm an amateur/semi-pro bassist slowing coming into the scene. I'm looking seriously into a Warwick Corvette Standard 4-string (PP). I've played a lot of basses ranging from "low-end" Gibsons and Fenders all the way up to 5grand Foderas in NYC. The Warwick for it's playability, bad-ass funkadelic sounds and it's overall powerful presentation it's the best buy for the money in my opinion. I'm looking into one for 800$ which I don't think is too bad for such a great bass. Just my opinion..I could be wrong...and if anyone thinks I am PLEASE write back...we're not here for competition but for advice...correct?

19. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Fonqueman,
    Before you buy one of the budget Warwicks, try the thumb bass. I almost ended up buying a corvette standard 6. After I played the oh-so funky thumb bass, I changed my mind quickly.
    There is nothing wrong with the entery level ones, but there higher end instruments are incredible.
    Has anyone played the new Infinity bass? Does
    it sound as good as it looks? What does the semi-hollow body do for the tone, that seperates it from the rest of the Warwick line?

20. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    It's funny-my experience with Warwicks seems inverted from other peoples': I like their 'cheap' stuff-I've played the Corvette 5 a couple times and was impressed with its sound, feel, and overall performance, whereas the more expensive ones (a 5 with MM/J pickups and active EQ) that cost over 2 grand didn't seem to have as much to offer as the Alembic, Modulus, Lakland, or Pedulla stuff in that price range. While Warwicks have great bite and clarity, it seems they don't do the old-school warm and fat thing very well. Just my .02...