Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOXHEAD, Jun 11, 2001.

1. BOXHEAD

BOXHEAD

Oct 3, 2000
    I have been thinking about getting a warwick 5-string for a long time. they look and sound awesome. I finally got to try one today and was absolutley bewildered as to the weight of it. Since then I found why they are so weighty but I am only a litlle guy and I don't have the strength to keep it up for a long time. I was wondering if anyone knows anything that sounds almost the same but is a bit lighter or even if it is possible to replecate this type of sound with a lighter wood

thanks

2. Streamer LX is lighter.... 2 piece maple body.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Almost all basses are heavy! Maybe you should think about taking up the harp! Kidding! You will get used to it!

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think you will get the same sound. The density of the wood adds particular charateristics to the tone of the instrument. You can get a good sound from low density (lighter) woods, albeit a different sound. Give it some time and get used to it.

5. I have a Streamer Standard 5, and it's not that heavy. That's probably because I'm used to my piece of crap P-bass copy that wieghs ten pounds. What model(s) did you try? Some are heavy, but that extra density is the key to the Warwick tone.

6. If you have the opportunity, you may want to try out a Reverend Rumblefish. Not sure how close to a warwick sound you can get, but I've heard nothing but great things about them, and they're supposedly very light weight. Asthetically they may be an aquired taste though. :)

7. They are really light, and the B string is the tightest I've ever played, but if he wants the Warwick sound, he will never be happy with the Rumblefish. They have a really full, round tone with a lot of bottom end. They'd be great for a lot of kinds of music, though.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Not sure about the sound bieng the same as a warwick but alot of yamahas are light!

9. I just played my Corvette 5 for the first time ever during a show, I usually use my G&L.....Well all I am saying is that I am a very active bass player, and after a 15 minute Hip-Hop medley, my A$$ was dragging....They are heavy as all hell, but you won't find the sound anywhere else, just suck it up and enjoy your tone...

10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah my corvette pro-line is heavy as a mother! But i still think my old 67 fender p-bass is worse!