Warwick basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Optimus Prime, Aug 5, 2001.

1. I'm considering purchasing a Warwick bass but I seriously don't have a clue why they're so special.

Are they any good for slapping?
    What Warwick bass is the best?
    Are the pickups good or great?
    Should I settle for a Fender Jazz Bass?
    Should I settle for a Stingray?
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The preceding opinions do not reflect the opinions of the host, the station manager, or our sponsors. The products recommended have not been tested for safety with regards to small children. Live long and prosper.

3. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have a Warwick FNA4 and I love it. It is great for all styles,it is made of top quality components, it will cost you about as much as a used stingray if you get a used one and it looks great.
  4. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...they sound good. They live up to their name, but I would try to get the 3-way EQ system for extra tweaking options.
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've played warwicks. Don't like 'em. Not my style.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If you seriously haven't a clue what makes them so special, Warwicks may not be for you you. It's my belief that most people who love Warwicks have an immediate attraction to them. I did anyhow. They feel a lot different than most basses, woodier and earthier, IMO. I believe it's this feel that attracts most peeps.

If your other 2 choices are a MM or a Jazz, I'd heavily recommend checking out one of the Warwick Jazzmen (Corvette or Streamer). Warwicks, Jazz basses, and MM all sound and feel a lot different from each other - and the Jazzman series are I think the most versatile of the Warwick basses. I've never played one, but I've read reviews that claim they can sound a lot like a MM and Jazz bass. I would stay away from the Streamer Standards - I don't think they compare to Warwicks other basses.

I'd suggest playing as many Jazz basses, Stingrays, and Warwicks as possible, and see what you think really feels and sounds the best. If you play them all long enough, you'll know which is right for you. And if you're like a lot of the rest of us - one day you'll own all three anyhow.

Good luck.
  7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Warwick MEC pickups and preamps sound different from just about any other brand out there. Try one and see if it is you...it may be, but it may not be. (Personally, I love them.)

8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    >The Infinity looks like it could be VERY interesting >though.

I heartily endorse this product and/or service...
  9. Warwicks are great basses,just not for me. :(

The looks,feel,sound are really nice...just can`t cope with those big necks *sigh*.Maybe if I put in the time and effort I could get used to them,who knows?

Check `em out!! :)
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    good for slapping, heck yeah.

i think it's pretty much agreed that the dolphin is the "best" (at least it is between all the people in my mind) but all of the neck through ones are comparable in best-ness.

the bolt on ones are great, but IMO not excellent like the NT ones.

a fender jazz bass, musicman, and warwick will all have VERY different feels and sounds. try all 3, find out which one you like best. but the jazz bass, MM, and warwicks are all in different price brackets.

i agree that people have an instant attraction to warwicks. in listening to an watching bassists the ones with the tone i liked the most all seemed to play them. first time i played my thumb i knew i had to have it. it just felt and sounded exactly how i wanted my main bass to sound like. but maybe that's why there's so many on ebay ;) cos the necks ARE kinda big, if you're used to a soundgear or something it will fatigue your hand. but if you're used to upright bass or something you will be fine. play it for a long time and see for sure.

if you want the most versatile sound, the streamer jazzman is a good place to start. if you want a more jazz bass sound, maybe the streamer stage I is for you. you want the warwick sound? streamer stage II, thumb, corvette, or dolphin.

lots of variation within the warwick brand, try a bunch of them.

good luck!

11. Warick basses are great, even people who don't like them say they're great, but they're just not for them.
    Personally, the Warick Thru-neck Thumb basses are my favourite basses in the whole wide world.
    Just give all the basses a play and see what you think. The Warick might take some getting used to, but in my opinion it is definetly worth it.
    Great for slapping too.
  12. Ok, but how much does a new Thumb bass cost?
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    about $37 if you can find a good deal.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...a NEW neck through one retails at over 3 grand.

i got mine new for quite a bit less.

and there are 3 thumb bolt on's on ebay for under a grand right now. check there, and look used.