Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 21, 2000.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Are there any Warwick players out there? Which one do you play? I play a Streamer Stage 1 5 and a Streamer LX 5

2. Look at the many replies down below on Warwick basses.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Warwicks rule! I have a Masterman 5 string and I love it to death. I'm never going to sell it unless I'm buying another Warwick.

------------------
    Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose. It's how drunk you get. - Homer

4. To date the greatest moment of my instrumental career (4 years of trumpet..started playing bass 6..maybe 7 months ago) was playing a new Warwick Thumb Neck Through 4 string for 30 seconds.....

WOW

pure ecstasy in bass playing..it made me feel like some sort of invincible uhh..invincible thing..

I already had a strong like for everything about Warwicks but had never played a thumb yet. I didn't even plug it in, just took it down from the rack and crouched down behind some 4x10" that was right in front of the bass wall so I wouldn't be seen.

I would've played longer and plugged in but I figured the store guys would be on anyone they saw playing a $3000 bass, especially a 17 year old kid. I do understand and respect the reason behind that though.

If I ever find out that I'm getting the relatively highpaying summer job that I hope to get instead of the crappy job I've had the past two years, it probably won't take me long to drop $1000 or so into a used Thumb Bolt-on 4.

5. BillyPat

BillyPat

Apr 20, 2000
    I play a Corvette Standard fretless and I love it.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to own a Dolphin ProII. It was nicely made and lightweight, but I didn't care for the sound. I still drool at thumb basses, though.

Will C. [​IMG]

7. I have an FNA 5-string. It's great both live and in the studio. I could use a bit wider string spacing for slap though.

8. I have an FNA 5-string. It's great both live and in the studio. I could use a bit wider string spacing for slap though.

9. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bass Boy:
    I have an FNA 5-string. It's great both live and in the studio. I could use a bit wider string spacing for slap though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Check the user manual (or Warwick's web-site) - the Warwick bridge is adjustable, and you can increase the string spacing (at least on the Thumb you can...)

I have a Thumb 5 FL NT, and love it although it is a bit neck-heavy. I recently bought a used Thumb 4 NT (also fretless) and the difference in the feel of these two instruments is incredible - the 4 is over a pound lighter, but still has that great sound! The finish of the two I have (early 90's vintage) is really good, but I understand that the newer ones aren't as well made as the originals (i.e. 5-10 years old)

Regards -
    Wil

10. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I have a corvette proline 5 (1999) and it sound great but i would like to go for a thumb bolt-on or a streamer LX. That's because i want active pickups and ergonomic body. Is there anybody who knows something about this models?, which is better?, wich feels better?.

Thanks.

11. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I have a corvette proline 5 (1999) and it sound great but i would like to go for a thumb bolt-on or a streamer LX. That's because i want active pickups and ergonomic body. Is there anybody who knows something about this models?, which is better?, wich feels better?.

Thanks.

12. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I play a warwick corvette 5 and a thumb b/o 5 fretless.

Great instruments, especially if you consider what's out there for that price range.

13. sergeantsquirlie

sergeantsquirlie

Apr 29, 2000
  14. Hey everybody

Funny little story.

Started playing bass about 9 years ago. Second magazine I ever got was a Guitar magazine Buyer's Guide (much drooling and daydreaming during boring lectures ensued). This had an article on the Warwick Factory and headed up with a picture of a 1990 Warwick 5-string neck-thru Thumb Bass. Single over-riding thought - "I GOT to get me one of them!!"

6 years ago I reply to an ad in the local 2nd hand trading mag and land myself a 1990 Warwick 5-string neck-thru Thumb bass for NZ$1500 (about US$750)! There is a God and he seriously LOVES me!!!!

I really enjoy my Thumb bass, although I must admit it took a wee while to get used to the very middie tone, and the neck moves with the weather a little too much for my liking. I also have a Warwick Fortress One 4-string (my first non-Asian copy bass) which is also superb.

I don't know if I'm a Warwick-nut, but I certainly do enjoy playing them, including that yummy fretless I'm going to win from this website. Give it up everyone else - that baby is MINE!!

Keep cool and practice hard
    Hamish

------------------
    DOC HAMSTA

15. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, the Sarge has played one now. I'll let him tell you about it. I find that Warwick has varying feels on their different basses, but I do love that Thumb bass. The neck feels just right in my hands. The Corvette seems to get pretty thick as you near the body (actually, the one I tried was pretty poor on quality; it had a bulge in the grain on the neck). I also don't care for the new low-end stuff from Warwick, either.

16. sergeantsquirlie

sergeantsquirlie

Apr 29, 2000
    Yes,
    I have played the Thumb bass. I loved it.
    I plan on buying one...
    Of course, I will have to not eat for a week and eat the crumbs of bread my parents throw at me (of course, this is after they chain me down to the basement floor and throw matches at me) and pawn them.
    Snootch

17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've thought about buying one of these models. Where you able to adjust the bridge for string spacing as Wil Davis posted?

18. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    hmmm, I always thought warwick were nice basses especially with all that natural wood. But somehow I have never conected with them. Maybe its because there a to many models with some many differnt little vaiations(un pick, 2 pickups, active, non active) on each model.. don't understand it... not my phylosiphy. I guess

19. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I don't know where you guys get all this money for these high end basses! ;-)
    I just got only the second really nice bass I've ever had - a Warwick Streamer Standard. Let's just say I've had a million cheap basses, and this one blows me away. (The first nice bass I ever had was a '78 Jazz. Between that bass and the new Warwick, there have been countless Ibanez, Westone, MIM Jazz... It goes on.)
    I've seen some knocks against the Streamer Standard, and I just don't get it. I'm guessing it's personal taste, but the second I touched the neck, it was as if that specific bass was built for ME.
    I drool over the 'unfinished' feel, and I can't get over how much I love being able to see the wood grain on the neck. I have small hands, and I've mainly played Fender Jazz basses. If I don't watch what I'm doing, I usually get some sloppy fret buzz while reaching on my Jazz. (My fault, but I always felt like I was struggling against the bass.) Not so with the Warwick. It's like I put my hands on it, and it plays itself.
    My wife got it for me, thinking I wouldn't trade it in since it was a gift from her. (She's smart like that.)

20. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I have a Warwick Thumb 4 bolt-on and I couldn't be happier with it. I lucked out with this one though. The one I bought was a late 2000 model with Ovankol neck Just-A-Nut II and a rather plain finish. I had bought it via the internet and after I received it I noticed some cosmetic flaws and returned it for a replacement. The internet company didn't have any more in stock so they checked their brick and mortar store in Philly and found one to ship me. it turned out to be "NOS" (New Old Stock) and had been hanging around in the store for quite awhile. It has a tight grained all Wenge neck, Just-A-Nut I and a highly figured body. I spoke with Dana B. Good concerning this bass and they told me that any time they see a bass like my current one they consider it a gem and I got a much better bass than the original.

PS: When I told the Internet company that they had shipped me an older bass they knocked another $60.00 off and through in a set of strings for my trouble.