Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WarWick basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Remington, May 8, 2003.

1. Remington

Remington

Nov 19, 2001
    USA, Michigan
    I was just wondering what people think of warwick basses. I know they are a really good brand of bass, but I don’t know what kind of music they work best for. Also I have small hands and I like to use a 5 string. So I have trouble playing big basses. I know I can’t really play a fender 5 sting, so I was wondering how big warwicks are. My self I play a kind of more rocked out music with a very active and moving bass line. I currently use an ESP LTD F-205, thanks

Also does anyone know what “LTD” stands for?

2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    You can get a general feeling for the opinion of warwicks by doing a search. It's a lot easier and you can find a vast amount of info this way. There's a lot of opinions and a lot of warwicks to chose from. Some people may dislike all warwicks except the Thumb. As far as LTD goes, I don't know what that stands for.

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I won't speculate on how you'll like the sound of Warwicks; they are distinctive, to say the least, and everyone has an opinion. As for your small hands though, Warwick necks are thick and chunky. Some people (like me:) ) love this, but many do not. I'd be sure and play one before you buy it... Also, the basses tend to be fairly large and heavy. Size wise, probably not the best match for you.

4. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    It all depends on the model. I have many warwicks and all the necks feel different. The Stramer "LX" 5 has a thinner feeling neck, then a thumb 5. The Streamer "LX" also weighs about 7-8 pounds. Not heavy all thanks to it's all Flamed maple body.
    You will have to try as many models as possible before finding the right one for you.

As for the LTD on your ESP I always thought that it stood for "limited"

5. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    The LTD may stand for "Large TurD"

6. German made Warwicks are the best.
    They'll work for any kind of music you have in mind.

LTD stands for:

Totally
    Dude!

Isn't LTD the stand abbreviation of "Limited?"

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Do a Search
    This has been discused a lot here in TB.

(Hey i´m not trying to be an a**h***)

:bassist:

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just wish they would make something that sounds like a thumb but balances like a corvette....

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I woud like the sound of a thumb on tehbody of a streamer, and in a fretless 5 or 6. Oh, don't forget the new vampyre either, I kinda like the looks, but I haven't found anyone whose actually played it yet.

10. i like mine a lot (thumb bo).

although i have to say, almost *any* other quality bass is tons more comfortable. but imho its worth every ounce for the lows the thing puts out. they look evil. and the playability is awesome. the neck is wide, but meh. :meh:

warwicks, especially the thumb, tend to wear a lot of people out. some have a problem with its poor balancing act it tries to perform when you are playing. can you say neckdive? neckdive.

the overall weight distribution of the thumb is quite poor. it takes some getting used to. a lot of people scoff at the thumb because of how they feel. but just as many or more love the feel of a weighty, meaty bass with some pretty awesome tone at their disposal. mixed opinions.

imho, there are many better basses than the thumb, or warwicks these days in general. 80's warwicks are hard to beat. id take a conklin or a spector (of my choice) over my thumb.

all in all, i rate my thumb high and i am proud to have it and feel lucky that i am fortunate enough to own such a bass. warwicks *are* nice basses. just do yourself a favor and try one first, will ya?;)

11. ever tried a streamer pro-m? it might get you closer.

12. Streamer Pro M rocks!
    Nothing else like it.
    Can't understand why it was discontinued.

13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Indeed. I probably would have bought one if I didn't find my FNA Jazzman.

14. If I where in the market now and didn't have the
    Pro M, I'd definitely get a Streamer Jazzman.

[​IMG]