1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick BC-80 Combo Amp Positive Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonemachine, Oct 12, 2014.

1. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I picked up my BC-80 today after rolling the dice and buying without having tried one. If you are in the market for something in this price range, get yourself a 15% or 20% off GC coupon and steal this amp for $299 minus the percentage. Even at $299, it's quite the deal.

I am not well-versed in combos but the quality blows out the few competitors that I tried at GC the other day and this is the only one that rivals my head/cabinet rigs. I do have an Ampeg 108 combo which is great for home. The Ampegs 110 ($179) and 115 ($299) are really not even close to the BC-80. The Warwick is warm. The Warwick is built better, feels more solid. Even the knobs, something I never even thought of, feel like those on a real stand-alone amp head rather than a "toy" of a combo. The BC-80 has no his even when cranked up to 12. Yes, 12. Those Germans make great stuff! Nigel would be in heaven!

The TC Electronics BG-250 series, both 112 ($399) and 115 ($499), while having effects, are lacking in sound quality of the amp/speaker when compared to the Warwick. I'm not knocking the TC BG stuff, it suits a purpose, but I don't think successful pros would consider those gig-worthy in sound (and judging from reviews here, in build quality). I would definitely bring the Warwick on a gig.

Warwick is proud of its lack of distortion, they specifically point out that they made the amp so that it would self limit itself to avoid distortion AND the noise that is made by the lighting of any limiter lights... cool. However, this amp does have a "compressor" light and when that goes on, you can hear it faintly just like any other amp that has such indicator lights... so I'm not sure why they have that thing while talking so much about the benefits of avoiding distortion by having the amp self-limit. However, back off your input a little if necessary and the light doesn't come on. I ran passive Jazz and P basses into it, a 9 volt Stingray and an 18 volt Bongo and all sound fantastic in it. It's a great amp. I won't even call it a "little amp;" it's quite loud. GC offers a 30 day return so if you're in the market in this price range- go for this amp over the others. You have nothing to lose. By the way, I plan on getting at least one more Ampeg 108 as that one is a great value for $99 solo practice amp at home/work but I'd skip the rest and go to Warwick.

2. tnil

tnil

Sep 23, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have had my bc 40 for a year and it just sounds great for home usage.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    They look sharp but WTH is this?
    Warwick BC80 80W 1x12 Bass Combo w/2" Horn Features:
    • Power: 40W
    I saw 40 watts on two different sites. Is it 80w or 40w?

4. The BC80 is 80 watts.

jeff7bass likes this.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That's cool. Makes a big difference! I've scolded MF.com and GC for having wrong specs in the past. Seems like they don't care, which blows my mind.

6. The manufacturers website is usually the best place to start.

jeff7bass likes this.