1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Bleached Blonde thumb ltd 2003 5er or Lakland Skyline 55-60 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoChi, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Warwick Bleached Blonde 2003 LTD 5er

63.5%
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-60 CS series 5er Rosewood Fretboard

15.4%
  3. Lakland Skyline 55-60 5er Rosewood fretboard

21.2%
  1. NoChi

NoChi

Mar 16, 2011
    The Hague, Holland
    Hey guys,

For the last 3 years I have owned a Warwick Bleached Blonde Thumb LTD 2003 5er. It has served me well but I'm Gassing for a Lakland Skyline 55-60 5er with a rosewood fretboard. In order to finance the Lakland I will have to sell the warwick. I'm kindof stuck in the middel at the moment because I havnt actually played the Lakland nor will I have a chance to play it before I buy it.

I would like to hear your opinions on these basses and for you to help me to weigh the options. Also if I do go for the lakland skyline, should I go for the CS series?

So please help me compare in terms of:
    1. value
    2. playability
    3. Sound
    4. Specs
    5. Any other aspects you think are important

Your contribution is appreciated.

2. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Can't compare my Lakland with the Warwick, as I've only played a Corvette $$, and I really liked it, but when I was in the market for a new 5 string, I went with the Lakland . . .

Value - I got a Lakland 55-60 Custom (blocks and binding), TSB, and a maple fretboard, and I got it for a terrific price from Bass Central

Playability - hands down the best I've played. The action was lower than my Fender MIA Strats . . . I actually raised the action to suit me!

Sound - sort of a modern Jazz (get an Eden WTDI pedal to get even more sounds)

Specs - 35 inch, 9 pounds, passive, balanced, what else do you need to read?

Other - get a Lakland case

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    buy the bass you like ... not the one I like.

4. NoChi

NoChi

Mar 16, 2011
    The Hague, Holland
    Love you

5. Buy carrots.

6. Slapstyle

Slapstyle

Dec 3, 2009
    Maine
    I'll buy your warwick. Just sayin...

7. NoChi

NoChi

Mar 16, 2011
    The Hague, Holland
    I've got a big ol carrot for you, all you got to do is unzip.

I expect to get a whole bunch of useless posts. Just to be clear, I'm asking for opinions just because I don't have the opportunity to try it out before I buy it. I like what I've read/heard about it so far. Hopefully I can get some reactions from people who have played them.

Sauron... Me love you long time
    XoXo,
    Bathroom_guy

8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'd keep the thumb.

9. yea id keep the thumb for sure. even if you like the skyline better right now, youll regret selling your thumb.

10. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Regret sucks!

11. Both....I have a Corvette $$5 and a Lakland 55-01 and I'd bleed out of my ears if I had to decide which one to give up.