Warwick Bleached Blondy #3!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Apr 6, 2005.

1. So I was at GC ( :eek: ) in Hollywood and I found a Warwick Bleached Blonde on the wall with the #3 on the back! I was more than excited to take this bass for a spin, but there was a small problem. . . no sound! I tried the bass with 3 different cables through 3 different amps, nothing. Very very depressing. I can't stand the way that GC takes care (or lack of care) for their isntruments, especially the basses, and especially the Warwicks. Another one was missing knobs and almost all of their finishes were uncared for since they went on the racks. I was actually kind of scared at the idea that they had the bass out for just anyone to mess with, but thats just me. Anyone else have this issue at their GC's or music stores? I work at a music store and we keep great care of our instruments and constantly watch over those who play them, so I was appalled by the event today.
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's GC for ya, I guess. The last time I was in one, I remember a few unplayable high-end basses. Super high action, low action (strings pressing against frets!), dings, dents, fried electronics... I've seen it all in there. :scowl:

I really want one of those BB Thumbs someday. :) Was it 4 or 5 string?
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    How about changing the battery?
  4. milos.otic

Mar 14, 2005
    the GC here (Chicago) only carries the bare minimum when it comes to Warwicks. All 4-string corvettes in the standard wood. To get anything nice, you gotta put some money down and order it and then go through this whole process. Sickens me!
  5. The GC in north houston is exactly like that. Nothing but 4 string corvette standards, and like one bolt on 4 string thumb new which is out of reach, and one old 6 string bolt on thumb with basslines in it(brass nut, wenge neck, bubinga body). Perhaps it is the action, old strings, or needs a battery replacement but this thing sounds and feels like utter crap. I've heard so many good things about thumbs, especially the old ones, but this one dissapoints bigtime. However, I did enjoy trying out one of the new bongo 5 string basses, and those are pretty damn sweet.
  6. i was tryin out a 6-string in newbrunswick, NJ guitar center and the low B was unplayable passesd the 3rd fret, the higher frets were a bit rattle but 1st and second frets played the 3rd, i dont know how they could leave that on display
  7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Well I have only ever seen 2 warwicks in retail stores here in Australia. So there. I win. :hyper:
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Man, sucks to hear that a limited edition Bleached Blond Thumb is so badly cared for. That's probably my favorite LE Warwick aesthetically (I love the mountain/wolf inlays.)

For me, I'd use the nearby Guitar Center to try out various axes to see if the neck profile fits me or not, but when actually purchasing an instrument, I'd go to a smaller mom-and-pop music store. I'm in Piscataway (close to you it seems, Sandman) and my folks live near Philly so finding mom-and-pop music stores for me shouldn't be that difficult.
  9. It was a 4. I don't think they make any in 5, or atleast I've never seen any. I would die if they did. But atleast they had my dream bass. . . the 5 string thumb NT with bubinga, but even that one had its action to low. Also, can you get a thumb without jazz p'ups, because I feel so uncomfortable playing with my thumb resting on those slanted p'ups. Anyone else like that?
  10. GC Buffalo has a Pedulla with super-high action. It's a thunderbass and really a shame, because its a visually stunning instrument.
  11. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have yet to find a really good music store in or around New Brunswick. If you know of one, let me know! :)
  12. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    my local guitar center takes good care of the basses. some are just a little out of tune but i haven't seen one with wierd action or anything. usually if something is wrong people will fix it instead of just throwin it back on the rack like it's just someone else's problem.
  13. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    That is why when I go to Guitar Center I ask the Salesman, "what do you have in the back, still in the box?"
    When I got my Corvette the ones on display were bad, dents, knobs missing, bad setups. So I said to the salesman, "if you have a Vette in stock that the truck didn't run over, I'll take it." He went in the back and came out with one, still with the Warwick tape on the box. Also all the other stuff, wax, tools were there.
  14. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    They actually did make a 5er. :) I've yet to see one in person, though.
  15. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ Guitar & Bass center in edison is good (from what I can remember).

FWIW..I go to the GC in NYC (14th st) & even that one sucks. They dont take care of anything. How can you have a $2000 bass on the wall thats missing a volume knob or that is scratched. & they will still charge full price.
  16. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I think that was the same one I played a few months ago. Sounded great then... I didn't look at the number but the sales guy said there are only a few made.
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    No, I do!!! I´ve NEVER EVER seen a Warwick in a retail store in Venezuela. :cool:
  18. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1. That store is good. They have a great selection of high end basses.

I've heard that Hy-Way Music in East Brunswick (on Route 18) is good, but I've never had a chance to check that store out.
  19. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well here in New Zealand they have a surprising amount of Wariwck basses - we have a store called the Rock Shop, and they carry some nice brands, Fender, Ernie Ball, Warwick, and for amps GK, Warwick, SWR, Mesa Boogie, Ampeg etc. But seeing as they are pretty much a monopoly they just charge whatever the hell they want...a new EBMM Stingray 5 is NZ$5500 which is over US $3500. And internet sites won't send to NZ because of too many customs and importing rights problems.

Some really nice brands just don't exist in NZ - Pedulla, Tobias, Modulus etc.

Lucky for me I got my Warwick Corvette FNA off a New Zealand auction site for about US$700, compared to around $2000 in the rock shop. It is a fantastic bass, always getting compliments on sound. Heavy though.

Can't buy any amps off US sites either because we use a 240V power grid, so I'd have to buy a $200 transformer. Sometimes it sucks being on an island in the south pacific.
  20. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks jivetkr and dincrest! I've been in Hyway Music once. It was small, and I didn't have much time. It looked like he had a bunch of used stuff, and I hear he has major connections.