Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Body Shapes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Techmonkey, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I went to the local guitar centre a fortnight ago to try out a Warwick Corvette Std. 4 (Which I fell in love with) and I was just wondering, how would I go about rounding the body edges like that? I'm thinking of using similar rounded body edges on my 5 string, which I'm building out of bubinga, but a different body shape. Would I need to change the shape of my body to accomodate a smaller front and back after rounding the edges? Could I do it with a router with a large corner piece and freehand it on the front and back, or should I use a template and a table mounted router? Or could I do it by hand/with a spokeshave and rasp etc?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tech :bassist:

2. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I can't give you advice, but I also love the almost hand-molded sort of look to Warwicks. I'm interested to see how it's done.

3. Garvin

Garvin

Jun 14, 2005
    Texas
    I plan on doing the body of my next bass like that. Maybe not scooped out in the back, but tapered thin on the edges. To achieve this, I will start out by rounding the edges with several progressive passes of a router and 1/2" roundover bit, then begin tapering with a spokeshave and patternmakers rasp, and going over it with a Craftsman 3-D sander, which is one of the more interesting (and useful) tools Craftsman offers - it looks like a big rotary electric shaver with three sanding discs instead of blades. I always remove two of the discs and use it as a fine detail sander/shaper. A medium grit disc removes a remarkable amount of material when used like a pencil or artist's brush. Although I didn't do any tapering, I used it for the fine shaping on this guitar, especially on the neck heel and on the body where your right arm sort of rests. Now that I have both a spokeshave (the one I got from Lee Valley is an absolute pleasure to work with) and a Nicholson #49 patternmakers rasp, tapering should go very cleanly and quickly.
    Good luck in your endeavor!

4. warwicks are 'carved' by CNC. This can be done by hand actually. It's not difficult at all. Use rasps (surforms), files and lots of sandpaper and you're there.

5. I saw a tutorial or something on the net of a guy doing this. He built some jigs for his router to do it. I don't remember exactly how he did it, but if you use your imagination I'm sure you could come up with something.

One idea would be to build a jig that allowed you to have the router swing from an arm of sorts. Nateo built something similar to make radiused sanding blocks. That could do the back. If you had some way to then reverse the jig and use it on a router table then you'd be in business for the front too.

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks for the response!

Wow it all sounds a little complicated... Luckily I have access to about £100,000 of equipment at the Design&Technology workshops, but I don't know much about modifying equipment or making jigs. One thing I do have though is patience, so it looks like I'm just gonna have to do it by hand!

So all I'd need to do is trace out my shape on to a template, shape the template, draw around the template, rough cut it with a bandsaw, then fix the template on to the body, go around the edges with a table mounted router, then shape the body edges by hand with a surform, some files, and sandpaper...

Looks like I don't even have to buy anything except the body wood!