Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Bolt-On or Neck-thru??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Hi, a friend of mine ask about what he should get:

-a $1350 Warwick thumb 6 string with bolt-on neck
    -a $2100 Warwick thumb 6 string with Neck-thru body

he ask about what is the difference between those two... i mean difference in feel, sound, etc.

he has the money, is just that he want to know if it´s totally necessary to spend 900 bucks more on a neck-thru...

thanks!

2. I am not sure about the 6 strings; I would think that he should play both before buying. If he can't play them first then I wouldn't buy it. Warwick’s can feel and sound different from bass to bass. I bought the Thumb Bolt-On because I was replacing a bolt on bass. That and the price difference. :D

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well he has played 6 strings for many years... i also told him to try em both...

but anyway he wants to know if the extra $900 are REALLY that worthy... he has enough for the neck-thru but he also has to change pups in a peavey 6 strings that he owns... buying the neck-thru and new pickups will leave him at 0 dollars!!

so is it worth the pain??
    that´s all

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Neck thru. Absolutely worth it, especially on the thumb. The bolt-on is hardly a bass comparatively.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    neck through.

i have a NT thumb 5.

i have played BO thumbs, and they just don't sound and feel the same.

jason

6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I'd say neckthrough. The only problem is, neck through thumbs are really heavy and unbalanced due to the short horn. you could always get a really short comfort strapp or something like that, but just a fair warning.

7. Again i don't know about the 6 stings but the 4 has the same problem Bolt-On or Neck through.

Have your freind try it with a strap before he puts down the cash.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    A lot of people seem to make the misconception of: Neck thru = good, Bolt-on = bad.

Not So.

The BO is not a poor mans NT, they are two different things entirely, each with their own voice.
    A lot of people (like myself) prefer the punch and balls of the BO, which I feel is more suited to rock music. Whereas other people like the sustain of the NT, which is perhaps more suited to jazz. Just because the BO is cheaper, it doesn't make it any less of an insstrument, it's just that the construction techniques cost less to build a BO than a NT. But I must point out, that the BO has a 2 band EQ compared to the NT#s 3 band, but I don't find this a limitation, it sounds damn good flat anyway.

The only real way to decide which is best is to try them both out, as everyone has said.

Also bear in mind the BO has a broad neck option for 5 and 6 strings, which give the same string spacing as a standard 4 string, the NT doesn't have this option. Tho, I do feel 6 strings lend them selves more to jazz genres of music, so the NT may be the way to go.

Tell him to trust his ears (and play with a strap)

9. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey Guys--

Here is my $.02 worth, which I posted over on the Warwicks Suck thread. IMO, the NTs are superior, if you are considering a Warwick. If you want a bolt on, I'd go G&L/Fender style basses--they excell at that design and sound. Anyway...here is that post:

Before you all write off Warwicks, please try the high end models. esp. the Streamer Stage II and Dolphin Pro.

I have a Stage II 5 and a Dolphin Pro 4, and they are marvelous basses. The only time I would consider using anything else for any music, including classic rock, is when I do a blues gig, then its a Fender RB5 or '57 Vintage reissue P bass (swamp ash, maple neck).

The lower end Warwicks are really not indicative of what a "Warwick" really is, and have been marketed to death on unsuspecting bassists who think they are getting that famous "Sound of Wood". They don't compare well IMO to other basses in the same price range. Hell, I think a G&L would be a better choice in the $1000 price range, or a Vintage Fender Reissue, esp the '57 P Bass.

Moral of the Story: Save your pennies and go for the neck throughs.

Andy