Warwick brass frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Anhg77, May 4, 2018.

1. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    Hello TBrs!
    Is the brass alloy used by Warwick on their german basses (not the current german pro series) really stronger and longer lasting than the usual nickel silver frets?
    And does it really change the instrument´s sound?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Isn't it weaker than standard fret matetial? I don't think they advertise it as stronger. They claim it's there for tonal reasons, as far as I know.

3. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    I think they call their alloy "bell bronze". Is it actual brass or another metal? I remember them saying its stronger and harder than nickel silver.

4. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    So Warwick uses "bell bronze", which is a lot harder than brass and has a higher copper and lower tin composition, while also having no other metals in the mix (unlike brass). It has been used in cannons because of its hardness.
    Metalurgic differences between bronze, bell bronze and brass

Goatrope likes this.
  5. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I believe it is probably similar to the EVO Gold fretwire we can get over here? I've had regular nickel, stainless and now EVO fretted basses, and the EVO is my favorite, by far. Very durable, looks great, polishes beautifully and the sound seems to be closer to traditional nickel than stainless. I found the stainless frets I tried for a while to be kind of "clanky" in comparison.

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

There's a chance that Warwick gets their frets from Sintoms; a Russian company (in Minsk) that makes bell bronze fret wire. According to their website, the bronze fret wire is "equal in hardness to super-hard nickel silver". Which would make them pretty much as hard as the EVO frets, I'm guessing. There doesn't seem to be any info about bell bronze hardness, per se; waay too many variables depending on which alloy, where - and when - it was made, etc. I did find a Youtube video about them, though. This guy seems to like the stuff...:thumbsup:

Sinest likes this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Quite right. And most brass, bronze and nickel silver hardens the more you work it. So one technique that is sometimes used is to run the fret wire through the bending jig, reverse the bend and run it through again, perhaps a few times.

Anhg77 and ICM like this.