1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick bridge on a p-bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by OneLinerLinus, Nov 1, 2018.

1. OneLinerLinus

OneLinerLinus

Nov 1, 2018
    Hry everyone!

So, I’m considering getting into a bit of a project of upgrading one of those cheap diy-kits to something you can actually play and be proud of. One of the many considerations I am going over is exchanging the bridge for a Warwick bridge, partly because they look great and partly to improve sustain. The body I am working with is according to the link below, but is a fairly generic p-bass.

Harley Benton Bass Guitar Kit P-Style – Thomann Sverige

What I was wondering is whether it will actually be possible to install the thing, or if it will completely screw over my intonation? I’m merely asking to avoid sinking a ton of money into something only to throw it away... any thoughts?

2. Frederiek

Frederiek

Aug 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    This should be possible, just take care to measure correctly (scale length from the edge of the nut to the bridge saddles).

I'm not a fan of the HB kits though, I've had a couple and had to return all of them because they were routed extremely sloppy (badly fitting neck pocket, horrible chip out around the pickups) and had several other defects. The neck was quite acceptable. If you are going to invest in nice hardware I would try to find a slightly better kit than this one :)

3. OneLinerLinus

OneLinerLinus

Nov 1, 2018
    Oh, that’s a bit disheartening :p I was expecting to have to do fretwork and reroute the pickups (I’m putting in two soapbars and a few more pots anyways). The only real reason I’m looking at Harley Benton is that it’s the only kit I’ve found in the EU (kinda wanna avoid the toll...) but if you have any other tips, I’m all ears! I’m investing a lot of time and money so I do want to wind up with a quality product! :)

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Just a personal opinion here, which I have shared a couple of times with the Harley Benton kits.

Some have had great luck with the kit being good, others (such as @Frederiek ) not so much. The problem I see is that some of the issues are not apparent until you have assembled them.

The price of a finished Harley Benton P is only a slight bit more than the kit.

My recommendation is to buy the finished bass, that way you can check everything over and make sure it is fine before starting work. Then proceed to dismantle and do whatever you want to the bass.

Obviously this means that you will have to do a lot more sanding to remove the finish in comparison to the kit (if you want to refine of course), but once you put it all back together, if something is wrong, you can't blame the bass ;)

5. OneLinerLinus

OneLinerLinus

Nov 1, 2018
    That’s fair I suppose... I have a deep loathing for sanding, but maybe that’s the wiser move overall... having a neck that doesn’t fit or messed up trussrod doesn’t seem great...

6. I don’t know about the quality of those kits. My concern is that, on a P bass the bridge is pretty close to the end of the body. There may not be enough room for the Warwick bridge and tailpiece. Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe Warwicks have angled necks, which could be fixed with a shim in the neck pocket but, depending on the angle of a Warwick neck, could end up being a decent shim.

Beej likes this.