1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tlwaps, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    For anybody that has ever owned, played or seen a Warwick bridge (at least for the newer models) you've seen the type of bridges they have. Why in the hell would they use a bridge like that? What idiot came up with the design? I have a Corvette Standard 5 string and a Thumb Bolt-On 5 string, I can get the EADG strings on with no problems what so ever. I just have to have one hand on the bridge holding the string in place and the other hand up at the tuning key tightening the string. Now when it comes time to put the B string on, that's when things get tricky and I get extremely frustrated. I use DR Hi Beams 45-125; in order for me to get the B string in at the bridge I have to use a phillips screwdriver and a pair of needle nose pliers, shove it down into the slot and then begin tightening it at the tuning keys. This isn't just for the Corvette or just for the Bolt-On, this is for both of them. I wouldn't think a 125 gauge B string would be to thick for a 5 string bridge considering most of the 5 string packs i've seen have had a 125 or 130 gauge B string. Other than the bridge I love the basses. Maybe one day they'll come out with a string thru bass or come up with something to put over the bridge. Just a rant and sorry for the long post.

2. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, and doing the intonation on those bridges isn't very fun either.

3. Do a search on this subject & you will find lots of posts. I think they are the best design bridge on the market. The break angle over the saddle is just right, they are more adjustable than most bridges And they are easy to do the intonation on if you know what your doing. The B string prob is easy fixed by one of three methods.

1/ file the slot ever so slightly.
    or
    2/ Squash the string at the ball end. (easy & it doesnt hurt the string This is what I have done since the 80's)
    or
    3/ buy a taper wound B string.

If thats your only gripe about warwick basses, then you havent really got anything to worry about. For an extra two minutes work when you re-string, is it really worth the agro??

Cheers,
    Rusty

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Just get a taper wound B string, they also intonate better(IMO)....

and if you still don't like it... hell you can send it to me, i'll pay for shipping, I would mind fiddling within every couple o'months with it...

5. You can get an updated piece for the bridge that accepts thicker strings (up to 135s I think), or you can carefully file the slot wider. Some people gently squash the string with smooth jaw pliers where it goes through the tailpiece.

Hope this helps

Peace

6. lowb1970

lowb1970

Feb 29, 2004
    Columbia SC

Ha, I've been there. It's the most furstrating thing ever. I use Daddarios and had the same issue with the low b string. It's a simple fix though. Just take it down to the local guitar shop and have the tech file out the saddle a little so there is no binding on the string. You may also have to file where the ball of the sting anchors on the bridge. They did this because they (Warwick) wants you to use their strings and they fit perfectly....:hyper: Who knew?:D

I fixed the problem by selling the Warwick and buying a 4 string MM Sterling and I haven't looked back since. Best bass I've ever owned....oh but that's a whole other thread right?

Best wishes with your Warwick's. Let us know if you get that resolved.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I used a small file for about an hour until I could get the B to slip in and out relatively easily. Yeah I shouldn't have had to do that, but the bass (well I had to do it to 2 of them) plays and sounds so good it's not a big deal to me.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have the same problem with the bridge on my Spector when I string it with DR's. I use the pliers method that has been mentioned already, and the string fits in just fine.

I'm going to have my tech file the bridge just a hair next time it goes in for a setup, though, and then I should never have to worry about it again.

9. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    It's annoying, but all the other features of the bridge more than make up for it, IMO.

10. this is from their site:
    Dealing with non-tapered B-strings and thicker string gauges.

This issue seems to come up on a frequent basis so we thought we'd address it here. We are frequently asked, "Since the B-string in the sets that I buy are not tapered, is there a way to safely taper it without causing any damage?" Along the same lines comes this one, "Is there an adjustment that widens the "saddle" groove to accommodate the diameter of a thicker string? Since I don't have my own tech, I'll have to set it up myself."

One thing to remember is that Warwick offers strings in various gauges where the B-string is tapered at the ball end so that it perfectly fits the bridge's saddle groove. However, should you want to use other strings there are two modifications that can be made to get them to fit.

String Modification
    There is a way to get non-tapered strings to fit the Warwick bridge. Using a pair of flat face pliers (no teeth please) flatten the string, just before the ball end, & in the same direction that the core wraps around the ball, you should be able to fit them & this won't damage the string.

Saddle Modification
    To widen the string saddle slots you need to do a little filing with a small rat-tail file. Just file enough so the string passes through the slot without binding up. Now don't get too crazy and go at it with extreme force like you're carving away on a piece of driftwood. Take it really slow and light. Be sure to check the groove often so you do not over-file. Make sure that there are no sharp edges or burs that could cut into the string.

i also read somewhere that the new bridges are wider.i think it was on basscentre,not sure.