warwick broken straplock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    looks like my straplock on my thumb BO 5 is broken on the inside so the pin will not stay in anymore.

any ideas on how to find another one of these to replace the one on my bass? to order one from warwick is going to take 4 weeks my dealer told me...

they look similar to the dunlop ones, but not exactly the same

help :) !
  2. you mean the screw hole is stripped?

if that's the case get a few toothpicks and some wood glue to fill the whole and then reattach the straplock.
  3. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    if you're talking about the part that is attached to your strap, just get new dunlop locks
  4. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    IFind a set of FLUSH mount Dunlop strap locks in the same hardware color. This way you can replace any part that breaks (be it the post with the bearings or a the recessed fitting) You can't go wrong either way. And they are cheap if you look in the right places. http://www.universaljems.com/cart/button.htm for example.
  5. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    it's the button that's the proble, not the screw hole.

I took a look at the dunlops, but they don't seem to be exactly the same...
  6. I used dunlops flush straplocks on my bolt thumb 5 and they fit perfectly. and i prefer them to schallers, far tidier. Goodluck
  7. MacTac- There are 2 kinds of dunlops. The Warwick's use the flushmount kind. As far as I know, they are the same flushmount locks that anyone else uses.
  8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    *the dunlops are not the same*. who makes the warwick strap locks?
  9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    The straplocks on my Thumb bass say "Jim Dunlop" on the back of the half that is in the strap. They look exactly like this except black.
    My other Dunlop straplocks fit and lock in with no problem. I would say they are in fact Dunlops.

These are the "flush mount" version found here

My Thumb is a '95 so they may be different on newer basses...
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Dunlop - the product code on this page is the same as the black flush-mount StrapLoks.
  11. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    the straplocks on my thumb (it's a year old) are NOT flush mount.

the ones on my old corvette are, and do match those dunlops. the ones on my new bass are different.

they look similar to the non-recessed dunlops, but they are not flared

does anyone know who makes these?
  12. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Is this what you need?

13. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    no, not at all.

i need that part that attaches to the bass. it looks like the dunlop (non-flush), but isn't as flared.
  14. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    If you need a set of the buttons, I have an extra set as do probably many warwick owners and dealers. Where are you located by chance?

Also, just to throw my opinion out there, I reallly don't like the warwick (not flush) straplocks, because in my opinion they combine the worse aspects of both strap lock designs (dunlop and schaller). Although I can live with the ball bearing release of the dunlops, I prefer the schaller's system, yet I hate the tiny buttons on the schallers and the way that the strap part is held on by a thin, measly screwed-on bolt.

Let me say though, that I do plan on getting a set of flush mount dunlops in the future for I love the look and ergonomics of flush mount straplocks and I can most certainly deal with the ball bearing retaining system. Plus, they must work well, cuz it seems like almost every pro uses them...

Yeah, so good luck finding your parts
    rock on
  15. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ya, i like the flush mounts as well.... except you're screwed if your straplock breaks - you can't use a regular strap!

anyways, I'm in victoria, BC, Canada (near seattle)...

if anyone has any extra back ones for sale, i'll buy them