1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARWICK $$ BUCK or NEW ROCKBASS $$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richbassboy, May 9, 2010.

1. richbassboy

richbassboy

Feb 11, 2010
    Hey i'm in the market for either of these 2 basses, I've heard the rockbass double buck sounds better than the German model due to the neck making the sound brighter is that at all possible? I would have to buy the german model used or the rockbass new and I want it in the 5 string version. Any opinions on sound, quality and playability is much appreceated. i really like the nirvana black finish :help:

2. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    get the German $$ and put some DR Hi-Beams on it, sounds amazing!!

3. richbassboy

richbassboy

Feb 11, 2010
    HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR A GERMAN $$ 5string in great shape???

4. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I played a Warwick $$ rockbass at GC, it sounded great except it had a really chunky neck

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i actually heard that their new line is back to the thinner neck... may have just been a rumor though... anyone know for sure?

6. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I played on the nirvana black double buck that a friend of mine had. Dayamn it that a loud bass. Endless tones. Though I still preferred my own jazzman fna...

But my point is that the warwick is serious business. You'll end up with one now, or sometime in the future when you find your still wanting one. Don't fight it....

7. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I own a Corvette Standard Bubinga and I have a Rockbass Corvette.

Make sure if you get the Rockbass that you get one with the bridge like the German made one. Meaning you can adjust the bridge height as a whole.

My Rockbass Corvette-a 2007 has a much more basic bridge setup that is not nearly as handy as the one on my Bubinga Corvette. But by the looks of the warwick website the 2010 Rockbass $$ has the bridge I enjoy!

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    2009 and 2010 Warwicks are back to the skinny necks, AFAIK.

9. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    The new Rockbasses are pretty fantastic. I was quite surprised when I played a $$ at GC.

That said, if the option is between a new Rockbass or a used German $$, get the used German one. I really don't think you're going to have a problem with one being brighter than the other; the MM pups on my fretless are really bright. It's probably the first bass I've had to turn the bass up on the eq for my taste.

10. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I'd take the Rockbass but, then again I'm weird.

I just don't get spending over 1,000 on a bass myself.

Please don't flame me!

11. richbassboy

richbassboy

Feb 11, 2010
    Well if you go used you can find them for the same price you can get a new rockbass for...

12. ImMoreBetter

ImMoreBetter

Jan 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    The new Rockbasses are quite good. Skinny necks are back. I fell in love when I played one at GC earlier this year when I was supposed to be playing around with guitar pedals. I ended up buying one off of a TBer.

Personally I would get a German one. Active electronics, more tone control, and holds value much better.

13. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    From personal experience, I found the B on the Warwick $$ a bit dissapointing. But best is to try both and see for yourself. I'm intrigued by the Rockbass though.

Bass Central has a couple of Warwick Streamer $$ 5 Nirvana Black for $1700. It's worth considering. Can't say I have hands on experience with them, but you'll get the best of both worlds, and the streamers are real sexy.

14. harry182

harry182

Nov 28, 2009
    England
    i have a corvette rock bass and i love it! would love to upgrade to a $$ when time is right :)

15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Well, the Rock Bass $$ is a passive instrument, and it has series/parallel switching, VVT setup. The German $$ is active with Series/Parallel/Single coil switching. I'm sure that the Bubinga bass will sound darker, but you can always get the ash body, too.

I've been GASing for a Thumb5, too bad those are not offered in the Rock Bass line...

16. If you like the tone of Dirk Lance from Incubus and Willies' Nerve Clinic, then yes... nab that Warwick Streamer bass!

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Really?

I just picked up a Warwick Corvette $$ 5 and love the low B?

The neck is chunky, and nearly perfect IMO!!! :)

I find the body a little weird, but that's easy to get used to when the tone, feel, and sound is wonderful. :D

18. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Just my experience, but I had a Thumb BO to compare with at the time. No contest! Now that thing was tight.

19. richbassboy

richbassboy

Feb 11, 2010
    Guys I landed a mint condition 2008 Corvette German Warwick $$ in nervana black for,,,,,,,,,, get this......... 850$ plus $75 for shipping total of $925 on EBAY.. I'm freaking stoked!!!!!!! No one else even bid I'm in heaven and it hasn't arrived yet =-D

20. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Get the Double Buck.

They sound good and they aren't too heavy on the shoulder, either. If I was to buy a Warwick, I would definitely pick the double buck, hands down!