Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Buzzard bol-on questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Feb 13, 2006.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well i like the looks of this bass a lot but im wondering if the 4 string version has a nice slap tone?.
    Does it have neck dive?
    Some clips would be apreciated too.

2. Why do people always think Explorer shaped basses and the variations thereof have neckdive? They have BODY dive, if anything. I played a neckthrough. It sounded like a Warwick. I don't slap, so I don't know what a good slap tone is.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Neck dive is a problem with the lenght of the upper horn vs the lenght of the neck and the weight of the headstock, so if i see a pattern like in a thunderbird for example, i ask if that bass has neckdive.

Thx for answering anyway.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    No neck dive. The rear wing of the bass balances it outvery well in my opinion. My Buzzard has quickly become my fav instrument, and actually, the most comfortable to play. John Entwistle really took the time to create one amazing instrument in my opinion.

As for the slap tone... I don't do much slapping/popping, but I had my original Buzzard neck replaced. It originally came with an unlined, fretless Ebony board. I had a custom fretted neck with an Ebony board designed/fitted for it. The Ebony board on the Ovangkol neck really zings (bright, biting tone) that really cuts through. The very little bit of slapping/popping I do comes through very, very well....even in the context of a full-cranked rock band!

Most Buzzards, aside from the Status Buzzards, come with a Wenge board on an Ovangkol neck. I have only played one bass with a Wenge board, but to me I wouldn't think it would sing brightly like Ebony does...the Wenge, to my hands and ears, was very similar in feel and sound to that of Rosewood.

I can try and record some very bad slap/pop clips for you if you'd like from my fretted, Ebony boarded Buzzard beast if you'd like.:smug:

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Oh that would be great! it doesnt have to be a complex slap line i just need some notes to get an idea.

Thx for your input.