Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Buzzard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu L., Jul 19, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Ok I'm confused. The blue book says this is an awesome bass, commanding at least $1,100. Theres one at the local pawn shop (2nd I've seen lately) for $200. It's a Warwick, has the P-style Pups, natural finish, etc. Does anyone have a pic of one so I know this is the real deal? I doubt something that nice could be here in this town. Any ideas?

2. dude. if its a warwick then GET IT!!! DON'T WAIT!!!!!

isnt that what Entwistle used? i'm not familiar with his choise of basses but.... if it is like it... GRAB it.. thats a steal for a warwick

EDIT : If you dont want it get me a phone number of the place you found it please.

3. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Does it look a little something like this?
    [​IMG]

Go to http://www.buzzardbass.com for more info and more pictures

I have heard that Warwick only made about 100 of these.

4. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Look for this on the back
    [​IMG]
    Old Pre Production hand made Warwicks are very sought after.

5. dude if thats a real Warwick Buzzard I will give $201

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    No, that's not it. So obviously Warwick did a second run (it just looks cheaper (the second one does)). But it was the second one I saw this week called the Buzzard by Warwick. Any other ideas?

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What you are looking at is a FAKE. It is not real. Stay FAR away. It is about as much a Warwick Buzzard as I am.

You'll see the exact same bass in pawn shops listed as an Alembic Elan. It's basically a cheap import, like a Lotus, that some a$$-head stenciled these slightly obscure bass models onto and sold to pawn shop owners who know nothing more than what a blue book tells them.

And, coincidentally, most of them are found in Texas.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    !
    I thought those were feathers! :D

Anyways, thanks.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I seem to remember (albeit very vaguely) there were some bogus Buzzards floating around for those ridiculously low prices. The real Buzzard listed for almost $4,000 US prior to Status taking over production of the third generation Buzzard.

If you manage to come across one for a couple hundred dollars, the rule, "Sounds too good to be true" applies. But, then again, so does "Buyer Beware".

I'd steer clear at all costs.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I saw one called a Status Buzzard here in Mobile AL, and they are most definitely fakes.
    Someone bought a bulk order of Samick/whatevers and made up some fake logos that they stuck on the headstocks, then took them around to unsuspecting pawn shop employees.

Every now and then you'll see them with the original list price on them. Ouch. I've seen some guitars called "PRS McCarty" that were of the same ilk.

There's usually a few on ebay at any given time.
    I'll see if I can find a pic...

Stay far, far away!

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    We had two of those fake Buzzards pop up here in Mobile in the past year. One of the pawn shops actually gave the guy $600 for it, and they were trying to sell it around $1000.:(
    Fake Martin acoustics have been popping up, too, with the recent resurgance of bluegrass.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fraud! Someone taking advantage of these pawn shops! They're unsuspecting targets.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The thing about the fake Warwick/Status Buzzards and Alembic Elans is that they look nothing like the bass that they are supposed to be. Anybody who knows much about basses would not be fooled by them.

There is a shop over in Fort Worth that has one of the 'Warwick Buzzards'. It looks like a P copy with a wood finish body instead of paint, and a little different body shape. Probably worth about $150, if that much.

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That's exactly what these were. They were crappy P-style knock offs, but with small bodies.

15. forgive me if I am wrong,
    but the 2nd picture (battery-compartement?)
    isn't warwick style .. the warwick Easy Access Electronics Cover (tm. .. patented by Warwick)
    is much different then the black thingy that you see on the picture ..

second ... as far as I know, the golden symbol "Warwick" has officially a golden line under "arwick" ... just look at the site .. I looked behind my bass (on the Electroncs Cover) and say that even there, the "arwick" has a line (warwick on my E.A.E.C. is not in "golden colour"..

well..If I am wrong , please say so

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, this is a bass from the "old days"...yours is much newer. There have been LOTS of changes over time, e.g. the older Warwicks had a brass nut. Very early Streamers even had a Spector-style headstock and a Schaller 3D bridge instead of the 2-part Warwick bridge.

17. Warwick is reintroducing the Buzzard in '03 per their website, and yes, I have seen pre-production basses with screws for the battery compartment. Their latest catalog also shows some early instruments that have the "different" characteristics from today's production models as described in JMX's post.