Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette 4...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickhare, Apr 6, 2005.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    ok i'm seriously GASing a Warwick Corvette since my b-day is in a few months :hyper: . i tried one at a guitar center and i really liked the body style and the tone. but i've seen some varied prices while looking around from really expensive to not so bad. i think that the standard is the more inexpensive of the corvettes...correct me if i'm wrong...

but can anyone give me any advice about this bass, whether or not it's worth th e money and such?

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, the Warwick corvette is a very good bass. But you have to make sure its a Warwick one. There are RockBass Corvettes that are cheaper (like 400-600 dollar range), and basically they are mass produced, in comparison to Squier and Fender. I've heard good things about the Rock Bass Series, but I've heard excellent things about the Actual corvette. Its well worth the purchase, as for the other series (Pro, Standard) I dont know much abotu them

3. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Corvette standard is a great bass. I love the oil finish and waxing is no problem for me. Just make sure it has the W on the headstock and it will be the real thing. Just rember the Rockbass is NOT a Warwick. It may be shaped like one but that is all.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i've been gasing a corvette 5 for a few days now. i really want one badly.

go on the bay, i saw a few 4 strings up there for a pretty cheap price.

5. How does the Rockbass compare to a standard Warwicks sound and feel? I've played a warwick before and i loved it, it was just a bit to pricey, I definitly would love having a warwick oneday but rockbass is much cheaper, are you really geting what u pay for geting a warwick over rockbass?

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I played a few yesterday and while they played ok I felt they were very thin and the preamp wasn't entirely able to change this. But they seemed allright and with different amp setting I bet they'd be just fine.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yes

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Times 100... no comparison in my experience.

9. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Yes, now the RockBass is not bad for what it is. Alder or ash body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, kind of Fender Jazz sound. Now the Warwick Corvette std., bubinga body, ovankol neck, wenge fingerboard. Even though it has Jazz type pickups the sound is quite different. To me better. If I wanted a good Jazz sounding bass, I would find a good used Geddy Lee, best Jazz bass out there in its price range.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Corvette four-strings are pretty common on the used market for a good deal less-usually $500-700. I got one with two small dings for $450 once.

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Active or passive? Make sure you try both, if you haven't already. I owned a passive 4 string 'Vette and I liked the tone it had over the active version. Either way, the Warwick Corvette is a great bass.

12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I would definitely scour the used market for German Warwicks, as used ones can be had for nice prices. For example, many people fall in love with the Thumb for its tone but later on fall out of love with the Thumb for its heavy weight- so their loss is your gain.

Also, it's possible to find good used 'wicks perhaps with the all wenge neck and/or the brass just-a-nut as opposed to the newer ones with the ovangkol necks and wilferite nut. The neck profile is different on the ovangkol necks. I like it, personally.

And, yes, the Corvette Standard is the least expensive in Warwick's stable. The Corvette DoubleBuck, Corvette FNA JazzMan, and Corvette ProLine are more expensive.

Believe me, I've been GASing for a 'wick since I was 16 (I'm 26 now) and I love the Corvette body shape. The Fortress is my favorite Warwick body shape, though.