Warwick Corvette 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, Oct 31, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Any opinions? I played a used one in a music store today and it was awesome. It was solid as a rock and looked like a closet classic. IT was manufactured in 1996 and had the three piece Wenge neck and lined ebony fingerboard. I have never seen a Warwick with lines. Whoever had It took godd care of it, no dings dents or scratches, just playing wear. Anyway, they want $699.00 for it, what do you guys think of the deal. Here is an actual picture
  2. If it's in that good of shape, I'd do it for that price.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Also comes witha hardshell case
  5. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    I've got one and love it. Worth the weight. I wonder what's with the gold hardware though? Should be chrome. 1st owner may have specked that - along with the lines I'd guess.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I haven't played the 5-string model, but I am really impressed with the Corvette Standard 4-string fretless (and I own one). It plays/sounds better than many more expensive instruments (IMHO).

The price is fairl reasonable, especially if you get the case and the good gig bag.

7. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Two words..

"BUY IT"

The Wick club wants YOU!!! Come to the dark side...
  8. Buy it! The gold hardware looks sweet with the bubinga...

Join the Warwick collective! :bassist:
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice. Fretless Corvettes are especially popular.
    I'd go for it.
  10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Totally reasonable price. They occasionally go on *bay for bit less then that, but there is the fear and potential hassles of purchasing an axe you have never heard or touched.

Your ears and hands will always be a better judge of a bass then your eyes (now if I can just learn to follow my own advice).
  11. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    I actually think you can get a new one for not much more than that. New ones are made w/ different (neck) wood now, but sound great.

If you go to compare it w/a new one, make sure they have the same strings. I've played some in stores w/ roundwounds, which sound incredible and some w/ flatwounds - IMO, not so great (but plenty of people seem to like that sound).

Nonethess, if the used one catches your fancy - i'd go for it. The W's w/ the wenge are somewhat coveted now, it seems. + sometimes it's not so much about finding the right model as it is finding "the one".

Check for fretboard wear - that'd be my biggest concern w/ a used fretless. Some string guages in the fretboard would be normal but, once they get too ate up, the fretbords need some work - replaning or, wcs, replacement.

Oh yeah, your link is broken - i'd love to take a look at that bass. :eyebrow:
  12. +1

...and if yer not careful, I'll beat you to it, cuz methinks I know which store it's at, and it ain't that far from Ahwatukee...mwahahahahahahahaaaaa!
  13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I have the fretted model from '96 with chrome hardware. Something about that wenge neck and board with bubinga body. I thought about selling it once...only once.
  14. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    You better scoop that baby up quick, cause it's on "the Bay" now...
  15. BUY IT NOW. Don't wait for the store to open, just break in and leave a check! :D
  16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve owned a 4 string version and it was sweeeet. A bit heavy maybe, but the sound was terrific.
    BTW, I thought that Corvettes with gold hardware were Proline.
  17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The gold hardware sells it for me, you need it! Well, maybe you don't need it, but I like it! :cool:
  18. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Go for it! that is a very good price! and i bet the tone is lush.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Seems like this bass might be underpriced. The gold hardware and fretless lines can be custom ordered if you really wanted them on your Warwick. If, you decide to buy it, make sure you can return in with a reasonable period for a full refund incase the neck is warped and electronics have gone south on it, or whatever... Also, replace the battary, toss on a new set of DR. Low Riders, and wax that puppy.