1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette 5 or Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, May 1, 2006.

1. Warwick Corvette 5

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. Lakland 55-02

44 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I have both sitting in my house right now. Both were used. I have less experience with the Warwick, but one of them will need to go. I am having trouble deciding.

I'll give the good and bad on each.

Warwick:
    +Growl!
    +34" scale is easier on the left hand
    +low B is tight (with the strings came on it teper wounds)
    +nice feel
    +great low end
    +24 ftets (I'll never need that many)
    +Growl
    +/-Thinner neck at the nut, but fatter front to back
    -Less variety

Lakland
    +Great tone in so many flavors
    +3 band eq.
    +String through
    +35" scale and reinforced neck make low B tight
    +Jazz and Music Man in one
    +/-Thicker at the nut, but thinner front to back
    -Less Growl

I must say I don't always use the variety in the Lakland. I really like the growl. I have a playing engagement on Sunday. I am going to take both to help decide.

There are pluses and minuses on both that I did not list. Both are great basses, but the budget says I need to sell one, or take another job a McDonalds.

And BTW I have heard the line choose the one you like best! If I could have both I would!

2. The Corvette 5, is it a $$?

Coz I've played one of those and I LOVED it...

... and I own a Lakland 55-02; I love that too!

I'm glad I'm not you K.D., it would be like choosing between children! :meh:

The Lakland is my main axe right now, it sounds great recorded, and like you said, it's versatile (though I also don't veer too much from the centre detents; sometimes a little towards the back p/up for burpiness, sometomes solo the neck p/up for a phat "P" sound)

Only thing that bugs me a little is the scale length (I have small hands! :bawl: ) ...but that slight negative (for me, my hands) is more than made up for by:

1) as you said, tight B-string

2) I'm not doing the sort of playing where the scale length is much of an issue (if I were playing alot of solo stuff, eg, reaching for chords like I-V-IX, across 4 (5?) frets and across 3 or 4 strings)

3) the Fact that pretty much everything else about the Lakland is outstanding!

...if I WERE playing solo stuff, or difficult passages ALOT, then I might go for another bass....

( like a CORVETTE! )

But I'm NOT ---> Lakland = good for me :D

..So there you go, K.D.... I'm sure I've made everything clear as mud :meh: ..... you're very welcome ;)

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless it is an absolute financial necessity, keep them both since you already have both. They are similar but different enough to add a change of pace to you playing or sound. If I just had to make a decision, the 55-02 is better because of its sonic flexibility.

4. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    That's tough. I guess I'm going to have to say the Lakland, mostly for the 35" scale and the versatility. If the Corvette had a tighter B, I would go with that one.

5. D'oh.. I initially thought you were asking which one to keep so I voted for the Warwick..

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the poll is asking which one to keep. Kind of misleading though.

7. But then I saw this bit: "but one of them will need to go" and "but the budget says I need to sell one".

8. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I love my Corvette 5 simply because of the neck size, it's smaller than the Lakland. I love the growl, the only Lakland i've heard has had to much cock and not enough balls. Even though you might not use all 24 frets, I feel that it's great to have both octaves to play with. Especially when you're playing chords or even tapping. I'd say keep em both, but if I had to decide i'd keep the Warwick

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´m not sure if you want us to vote for the bass you will keep, or for the bass you will sell.:confused:

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd keep the Lakland myself. Several more available flavors out of jus the one bass.

11. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Vote on the one to keep!

12. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've had a 55-02, and I've had a Warwick (pre-wenge necked Fortress One 4-string). The Lakland is by far the better and more versatile instrument; even though the 'wick growls, its MEC electronics are suspect at best.

Put a set of Basslines in that Lakie, and you'll have all the growl you want. :D

13. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Hey VifferMike, which Basslines pickups do you recommend for this. I believe they have a least 2 or 3 types of 5 string MM pickups and I am not sure how many Jazz.

Also, how do the MMs sound in single (or phantom coil). I can't live without a good Jazz Bass tone or at least in the right neighborhood.

Spending a some bucks on some pickups isn't nearly as bad as a few hundred on a bass.

I have also heard that Lakland has some new pickups for the 55-94 and 55-02. Those may be a good idea.

I absolutely love the 55-02, but I just find myself wanting more aggressive growly raspy voice.

14. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I sent an e-mail to Lakland to see if they can give me some pointers.