1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette Double Buck 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Apr 27, 2006.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Haven't seen any reviews around on these babies. Was considering picking one up, but it's a close call between this and a Fender Deluxe 5. Anybody got any experience with them? What are they like on your fretting hand?

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well it's alot different than the fender. play both. i personally like the necks on warwicks. it's a very vesatile bass imo. play both then make up your mind, thats the only way to go.

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I already own common sense. I want to own a new bass, and I'd like some opinions and firsthand relay on this massive Warwick, please.

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    well you don't need to be a smart @$$. what exactly do you want to know? i've played a few so maybe i could be more helpfull if you were a little more precise in what you want to know.

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I tried out a 4 and a 5er all monday afternoon,and I found the 5 to have a very unbalanced feel standing up, and the string spacing seemed very cramped.I like the thick neck, but I think
    a broadneck would feel better.. The 4 on the other hand, is a slappers DREAM ! it balances very well on a strap and the thick but thin neck profile rules! Both basses sounded beautiful of course,and the coil switching is a lot of fun!
    single coil settings are buzz city, and useless for low volume stuff...all this is of course IMO !

6. :bag: I realize that this is an A and B conversation so I should C my way out but ...

That was a nicely expressed sentiment -- I know the feeling! :D

7. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i found that these are a little diffficult for me to slap and pop on due to the pup placement, but thats just me.

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Haha, online patronising just riles my rile :D

Triclops, you're offering the kind of info that I'm after. Rarely do I find myself demo'ing basses in a shop with the aid of a strap, so that comment about the hog being unbalanced when standing was very helpful. I'm not the biggest guy in the world and I dislike wrestling with my instrument - I'm currently playing one of those discontinued Korean Spector thru-necks and even that is a little unwieldy for me.

I suffer from crippling tendonitis and have ganglion cysts in both wrists (word to green bassists - get a teacher to have your wrist placement well disciplined at the outset!), so the Warwicks and their baseball bat necks have always killed me after about 5 minutes. I take it that the Double Buck isn't much different than say, a Thumb? I don't slap at all with band-related music (except between songs because I'm so professional :rolleyes: ), but narrow string spacing tends to trip up my floating thumb fingerstyle stuff anyway.

Oh, this isn't sounding too positive, is it? I was hoping that the DB might be a go'er because it's markedly cheaper than this ridiculously pricey Jazz 5 I'm so keen on and the music shop near my joint has a beautiful black Double Buck 5 up on the wall just aching to be sold. They just look so damn hot, don't they?

9. Dunno about the 5. But I've got the four, and it balances, dare I say, perfectly. And as mentioned before, the neck rules.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I also own the 4 string version. (My first foray into the Warwick realm)

As far as the bass itself goes, a remarkable upgrade from what I was playing. The neck thickness/depth took a bit of getting used to, but once comfortable with it all other basses feel "breakably" thin by comparison.

I sit the bass with the majority of the body over my stomach area. The only negative aspect with this bass for me is that I find a slightly thinner strap to be bettersuited to get the bass to "sit" right for me which of course means more focused pressure on my shoulder.

As far as tones go, very versatile as a result of the 3 way, single, parallel and series switches. I have heard some people say that this model lacks the "growl" or the Warwick range. I find this to be a bit untrue, definitely not as much as the thumbs but it is still there.

The neck to body weight it well balanced in the 4 (not sure about the 5er) thus making the bass "stay" where you want to have it placed on your body. As for slapping, beautiful. I did not find the pickups to be a problem/interference when it came to slappping, initially I thought they might be as it does look like a smallish space between the neck pickup and the neck itself but its more than enough.

Right enought waffeling...................

Verdict: Highly recommended.............go pick up one

11. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I just listed my Warwick Double Buck $$ 4 string as I've run out of room in my collection.. anyone looking for one, check out my listing on ebay..

It's a great instrument, and the best value in that price range, especially for being made in Germany, and no Korea or China...