Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick corvette F.N.A (or other 1 pup bass?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 25, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi!

i just came across 1 warwick corvette F.N.A 1998 bass, the one that has only 1 hummbucker.

anyone has any experience with this bass? pros? cons?

also, i never had the chance to spend a long time with a 1 pickup bass (in that position, between the P and the J) and i was wondering how similar is the sound to a P/J set with both volumen at max? or if it is similar to only use the bridge J?

this is a pic of the bass they are offering me:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/jm/img?s=MLA&f=19800413_4186.jpg&v=O

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

what is exactly the sweet spot?
    i can imagine its the best place to put a single ickup, but why?

is this the place the musicman puts its hummbucker too?

3. honestly, i cant define the sweetspot. i have no idea why that area is the sweetspot, but it is. yes, that is where musicman (along with many other makers) puts their single pickup at.

-ryan-

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, not exactly. Warwicks sweetspot is not the same spot as musicmans sweet spot, warwicks is closer to the neck. Seems like they just put it in the middle on that bass. THe musicman one is significantly closer to the bridge.

5. I was actually thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure how accurate a measurement this guy is talking about. I didn't know if he meant the same general area, or the exact same spot in inches from the bridge.

-ryan-

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And as for what defines 'sweetspot' to me it just means the perfect place for the pickup to go to capture what THAT company feels is the best combination of string tension/movement/vibration etc for the best tone.

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    thts what i noticed in the pic, isnt the pickup a more near the neck than a musicman?

this may mean that it captures more lows?

8. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I would define the sweetspot to where the strings give away most bass-sound, but still sound thight.. -> a bit closer to the neck than the bridge, but not by far.

The strings seems much more stiff closer to the bridge.

9. 2 Cents:
    Resonance of the wood used and the scale of the neck determining string length may be factors, too, which would explain different company's placements of a "sweet-spot". Also the type of pup used will want a different spot, maybe, since it is producing a different type of tone for the bass.

10. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I had the 5er version of this bass. It was a nice bass. Tone wise it sounded like a warwick... I guess that's really the only thing I can say about it. It's a completely different animal than a Stingray, which I had right before the Warwick.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so, how about the low end? tight and round? or fluffy and muddy?

and also, it was mudvayn-ish or jamiroquai-ish ??

12. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey I've got an FNA 4, and I can say it's a great bass. Like posted above totally different from a Music Man.

The FNA is boomier (but not muddy) than the stingray, reason I can think is the pickup being closer to the neck. I've played blues, jazz, to alternative styles with it and it seems to do well on tonal variety's for only one pickup. Your right hand position changes the tone a lot. Stingrays seem twangier and brighter. Stingray is punchier, but I still get those fast attack sounds by playing closer to the bridge. Sounds good in a drop D as well. It also has that warwick tone nice and growly pissed off even, especially if you dig in and play hard.

Bass is very comfortable to me, I don't have large hands nor small a little larger than average, but the radius is definetly greater on the FNA than the ray. I'd say get it. Everyone that i've read who owns one has had more positive things to say than negative. Of course that's if we are going by what everyone says and not what you think. I picked mine up for a really good deal as well great bass for the money.

13. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

hey, thanks for all the info,
    did you done any recording with it? a wanna hear it before anything. Any way i dont have the money right now, so ill have to wait anyway... what do you mean by "boomier" ?

14. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    By boomier i could say its like having dual pickups and panning more towards the neck versus the bridge, hence the pickup is closer to the neck than on a ray.

Hey I do have some live recordings nothing professional as far as sound quality goes, but I can send some stuff to you it's all band setting. I can PM or IM you some links when I get to the house later this evening.......

What kind of music do you mainly play?

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    well, thanks!
    i would like to listen the bass in action!
    to give you a reference my style/influence is stuart zender (old jamiroquai) whisch used a streamer. PM me the links or send me a mail with them if you can,
    thanks!

16. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis

It had a very tight low end... not muddy with the use of the tapered strings. I could eq this bass in a hundred different ways and get plenty of sounds. In the end it just wasn't the sound I was going for. Nice bass, I just wanted a change.