Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman 4 Stringer, to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aj*, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well, one of these is currently sitting on the 'bay with ~7 hours to go and at £165. Unfortunatley there is a reserve but I'm hoping it's a reasonable one. So anyway, I have some disposable income at the moment, I was wondering what would you say a fair price for this bass is. Unfortunatley due to only spotting this auction on Tuesday I missed any opertunity of tracking down a 'vette Jazzman and playing it. So what I was hoping was for some opinions on this bass, in particular, what is the neck feel like? I played a lovely Streamer Stage I which had a very smooth and fast neck, of just the right thickness. On the other hand, I've played a Streamer Jazzman that gave me wrist pain the neck was so think. So, can anyone give me some advice, what's a fair price for it and what it's like tonally, what the electronics are like and what the feel is like.

The bass itself is 11 months old, Satin Red finish and 3 band active electronics. Cosmetically it looks mint.

What I'd want from it would be something that has the Warwick growl to some extent, tonally versatile when you need it, a good slap feel and good for fast fingerstyle. Now tell me if I should take the plunge or not :D.

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    By the way, since this auction finishes at an incredibly stupid time in the morning UK time and the bidding seems to be fairly lifeless currently I was hoping that I could get it at such a price that if I were to dislike it for any reason I could sell it off without a loss.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Cmon guys, getting views but no replys! Need some advice here!

4. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    I had a 2000 model FNA Jazzman specially made for a GC promotion (same setup, different wood and finish). Really liked it, good variety of tones. Pickups were PLENTY hot. My bandmates really liked the tone. Check your local retailers and on-line sellers for going price (at the time it was listing for about $1700, selling for $1200, and I got it for $700). If you like the price, I can confirm that it has a sweet tone(s) and fast neck (real thin, like a Jazz).

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Uk best new price for the Red satin finish it's in: £1,100. So I figure the £300-£400 ballpark is where I should aim at.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Oooh up to £245, if it sits below £400 I think I'm gonna snipe it, I never play my cards until there are 5 mins to go at the most :).

7. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    £256, <4 hours to go, reserve not met. Pray for a sensible reserve people.

8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I had a FNA Jazzman 4 and, though it was a very well made bass I have to say I didn't love it. Mine certainly didn't have a neck I would call fast. Kind of chunky really. I wasn't too crazy about the Duncan EQ either. Great slap tone though - but I'm not a slapper by nature. Overall, a very punchy tone vs warm. I wound up selling it.

I tried one before I bought, and it was only after living with it that I found I wasn't reaching for it much. I'd suggest trying one first, but if you can't and want to take a chance - well, you're getting a Warwick. They are what they are and they're well made.

Now, I'm not trying to talk you out of it - just expressing my own experience with one. Best of luck with it if you grab it.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Well I let it pass, it's been bid up to £525 and still reserve is not met. Since I was willing to pay £400 tops that's out of the window lol. Will get myself an EHX English Muff'n and some other pedals to compensate :D.