Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman Ltd. 2004

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by main_sale, Sep 17, 2004.

1. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I just got word that my new Warwick has arrived. Weather permitting, I'll have it tomorrow and let y'all know what I think of it. I'm expecting great things! :hyper:

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The one with the flamed Koa top, right? Thats a nice one :cool:

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    We don't believe you! Not until you post pics and sound clips!
    ;)

4. marcbass

marcbass Guest

Apr 19, 2004
    Nice nice!

I'm happy for you!
    I've been a Warwick player for some years now. I really love there basses. I think the older necks are better then the new once. But on the more expesive basses the necks are great.'

I have a Warwick Vampyre LTD 4 string with a wonderful neck and tone..

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I just got it home. It is S/N 4/013. Yes, it does have a nice flamed Koa top on a Swamp Ash body. I'm warming up my Ampeg B-15R/B-15E now, but don't expect any sound clips. However a photo or two might be possible if I can figure out how to do it. My first impressions are that I love its looks. The light weight of the Swamp Ash is a plus and it seems to balance better then my neck through Thumb. (Lighter and much less neck dive) I'm pretty certain that it is going to be a "Keeper"! :)

6. Congrats! I have the LTD 2002, FNA JazzMan, very similar model, different woods though. It rocks, so I bet your does too.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    How much was it?

8. Nice bass, join the warwick ltd edition club! :-D

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Elitist :p

10. lol

11. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well, after working through a few initial issues I'm very pleased with this bass and its piano-like tone. It is better balanced and lighter than my neck-through Thumb, isn't quite as loud and has a definate piano-like percussive tone. It is very modern sounding and there is definately a place for that tone in my bag of tricks. I contribute the light weight to the swampash body and suspect it is also a big contributor to its tone.
    The initial issues were minor. Moving from dry CA to wet MD one of the laminates of the neck swelled more than the others, creating a very noticable and uncomportable ridge. WMC expertly resolved this with a little sanding and a new coat of wax. Also, I was expecting a coil tap mini-toggle. Warwick changed the design from the proto and never told anyone. There are three push/pull pots on this one. The volume pot is also active/preamp bypass. The mid pot is also 200/800hz mid cut and the treble pot is the coil tap for the bridge 'bucker. Once, I figured out how it works and played with it for a while, I've decided I like it.
    In any event, I think it is a very nice playing and sounding modern bass. There is nothing "old School" about it.

12. Steve Wright

Steve Wright

Oct 13, 2004
    My opinion warwicks are the nuts. i play a Warwick Steamer stage 1 and all i can say is wow. its got all the bass end and all the high end well good. i wanted the 2004 ltd a little while ago lookin on their website. very nice hope u enjoi it as much as i enjoi my streamer :hyper:

13. Can I join too?

14. Membership has it priveleges, but is somewhat exclusive. What are your qualifications?
    It's a bit like golf:
    Gentlemen
    Only
    Ladies
    Forbidden
    ...only there is no gender restriction. C'mon, whatchoo got?

15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    sorry bout this but ive seen the final version of the koa top FNA corvette and some tops looked cheap ans not shiny

16. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well, I don't know what "ans not shiny" means but mine has a georgeous piece of flamed Koa with a beautiful finish that brings out the character of the wood. Even if this unique bass was ugly, it has marvelous tone, which is what it is all about, anyway.

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The finish on all of the FNA's (the discontinued Altus, the original FNA and the current Limited Edition), was satin not poly or any other kind of high gloss finish. I used to have an older FNA and I loved it.

18. WRONG! My FNA sunburst (a 1999 model w/ wenge neck) had a gloss finish. Oddly enough, when I switched necks with my 2000 FNA (natural satin finish, ovangkol neck) BOTH sounded better, IMHO. Of course, when we are talking limited editions, we are also likely doing some horse-trading to get 'em, and both of my former FNA's are leading happy, tuneful lives.

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thats just a custom option, there's a little upcharge for high polish, but most people like W for that oiled and waxed finish, which contributes to that unique tone.

20. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    This is new pain contributes to tone, for all of you guys painted warwicks have an upcharge you can have a satin finish or a hi polish finish and you can order EVERY warwick painted in those warwick colors.

Mudvaynes bass player has 5 thumbs 2 5vers and 3 4s one fiver and one four have nirvana black satin color chrome hardware and nikel-steel frets (same tonal quality as brass but in chrome color) and other four with black hardware and hi poly black finish.