Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette jack problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Saetia, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright, I have a 97' Warwick Corvette standard. The jack seems to be making crackling noises when I move around. I tried changing Chords and it does the same thing. I opened up the back pannel and all the connections are solid to all of the controls and the jack. I was told that maybe I should use a piece of sand paper and lightly sand the inside of the jack to get any dirt that may be in there out. In my time as a bassist I've never had this problem. Any info or help would be appreciated.

Peace
    -Ben

2. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I had the same problem with mine. Moster cable seemed to help but eventually I swapped out the jack (switchcraft).

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Where did you get the switch craft jack? and how much did it cost. After looking at the jack, I don't quite understand it, it's quite different then most jacks, most jacks when you take the control plate off you can see the opening on the inside but with mine you don't. Also the jack on the outside is smooth to the bass, I just don't see how I'd swap it out, maybe I need special tools, do I? With this bass I've noticed I need lots of special tools to work with this, like I said, any tips or ideas/ help will be greatly appreciated.

Peace
    -Ben

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some of the regulars in Setup should be able to answer your questions. I am moving this thread to that Forum.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My godin is beginning to see this problem, but barely. The jack i think is just a little lose. Its fine but you can wiggle it Slightly side to side in which case it makes some cackling noises, but if you dont touch it , its fine. I might replace it eventualy if it gets worse but its fine.

Does yours make noise even if you dont touch it?

6. This jack is called a barrel or thick panel jack. Get them from Parts Express www.partsexpress.com for a third of what you'd pay at a music store.

To remove the jack, first take off the cover plate or pickguard if that's what covers the control cavity. Then unsolder the two or three wires that go to the jack. If there's only two wires, you buy a regular 1/4 inch mono jack, Parts Express number 092-126 for the Neutrik brand, it's $1.89. If there's three wires, you have an active bass and the third wire is what shuts off your battery when you unplug the bass...buy the stereo version of the jack if you have three wires--PE #092-128, same price. Note which wire went where.

Now that the wires are unsoldered, there's a hex nut that screws onto the body of the barrel jack, inside your control cavity. Unscrew this nut. Remove the jack, it just pulls out.

Insert new jack. Install and tighten nut. Solder wires. Install pickguard or cavity cover plate. Plug in and play. :bassist:

If you compare a barrel jack to a regular jack, the contacts in a barrel jack aren't as beefy as a regular jack (they have to fit inside the barrel, so they're smaller). Therefore I think they don't contact quite as securely. You may want to buy a couple of them so you can have a spare ready. :cool:

7. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Alright, I know that my bass is passive. So it has two. I've played this bass for a few years and never had a problem, but I'll get two extra just to have and make sure that I have incase of a problem. Thanks a bunch for the info, how long would it take to get here (wisconsin) I have a show coming up and really need it.

Figjam: It usually happens when I'm moving around, but when I stop it keeps doing it until I fiddle with it to stop.

Thanks for all the info,

Peace
    -Ben

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I just checked the site out, and well I tried to place an order for 3 of them, but I found that I need a credit card, I have no credit card. Is there anywhere on the net that I can get them without a credit card maybe a check, and I can give the number to them over the phone or something?

Thanks
    Peace
    -Ben

9. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I bought them (I bought three) from Warmoth. I agree, buy at lest two.

10. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Look in the phone book for electronics supply stores in your area.

11. I think Parts Express takes money orders but not sure. Otherwise go down to your local electronics parts store--not the guitar shop (but if you are really desparate Radio Shack should have one). If necessary print out the Parts Express picture and description and show them. I mean an electronics place that sells resistors, capacitors, transistors, NOT Circuit City or one of those chains.

Parts Express ships out same day, even going UPS ground it gets to me in 2 days. They're in Ohio.

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to call parts express tomorrow and see what's what.

I checked out the warmoth is like 4 times more expensive as parts express (for the same kind mentioned earlier), the thing I noticed when looking at my Wick is that it has a larger barrel then the ones I check out on parts express, warmoth had the larger kind but wanted like $14 for the one kind they had that was gold.

I will call Parts Express though and talk to a rep there and see if they take money order and maybe they can shed a little light onto it.

I'm gonna go measure the barrel on it to see exactally what size I need.

Once again thanks for all of the info and help.

Peace
    -Ben

13. I put the Parts Express into my Warwick and it did just find, so it should be OK for you. I think PE does have another brand of jack if you look through there catalog, if the Neutrik doesn't float your boat.

Another online company is Mouser www.mouser.com but they also will want a credit card.