1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette $$ Neck Thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Archangel_Bass, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    hey so i was recently testing out a spector euro 4 string and setting up the eq on the ampeg svt 2 pro that i was testing it on while playing a couple sick little test riffs, i re adjusted the eq a few times then played it flat to check the tone of the instrument itself, it was great, a guy who had been watching me came and told me that for the style i play i should go with a warwick this seemed a little odd to me but he said i bet you wish you could get more growl right? and i said well yeah sure that'd be great. and he went on to tell me that he has a warwick corvette$$ nt, i looked it up online and liked it, was just wondering if anyone here owns or has played one and what they thought of it? i'm wondering if i should have the store order up a warwick just to test it out. or stick with the euro.

2. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I haven't played the NT but I have played the corvette $$ and I own two euros (can you see where this is going yet :) ?). Actually, I think the $$ is pretty cool, and it has an incredibly pronounced mid presence- much more so than any other warwick I've played. However, I think the euro has a better overall tone and is more flexible.

3. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    I have tried the Spector in a 5 and a Warwick $$ Bo in a 5. Same type of strings, same rig. IME, I found the Spector a little smoother and a little darker. For me, the Warwick has way more growl to it and a huge mid presence witih punch. The hardest thing for me about the $$ was taming the growls to sound smooth on some cover stuff! Ultimately, I went with the $$ and added a Bartolini NTMB 4.6 A/P. All I can say now is, WOW!!! The absolute best test though is your ears in the actual setting that you will be playing. Good luck and let us know which way you go.

4. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    right on!! i should probably have mentioned this before the reason that im even looking for a growly bass is that im getting back into a metal band that i used to gig with before i went overseas, i already have an ibanez srx for the majority of harder rock and metal, and a yamaha trb 6iip that i use for cover gigs and pickup bands, so growl is essentially what im after with this band. i will be playing a drop c tuning through my svt 4 pro rig. i tend to play with a similar setting to ryan martinie(mudvayne with a similar style but not identical) and what im looking for is powerful midrange, and definition. so far the warwick is in the lead running. thanks for the input so far. keep it coming. anyone know about support with warwick?

5. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    If that is the case, allow me to share an experience. I have two Fender J-24's. I took the Seymour Duncan pre out of my J-24-5 and put it in the Warwick $$. Talk about growl and BIG bite. I think you would be super happy with that combination just by going off of what you have said. Not sure but I believe Ryan Martinie also uses an SD pre and maybe the SD pickups also. The Seymour Duncan pre is listed on the Fender website as a BEQ3. I don't see it listed on the Duncan site. What I found there was the STC-3. It looks essentially close to me but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else would know that one.

6. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    wow that sounds sweet! a little technical for me but that sounds pretty cool, did the wiring match up ok or was it an awkward process? i mean how did yoy route the wiring?

7. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    I am by far an expert on wiring and it was even pretty easy for me. I bought the Bart pre already pre-wired from Brian at Best Bass Gear. All the pots, the battery connector, and the output jack were already wired up. All that was left was the ground for the pre module, re-wired my bridge ground, and the two pickup leads. Very straight forward. I am a pretty demanding person when it comes to questions and research before I do anything and Brian was there for me every step of the way. Not only that, but when I called him on the phone with a question, we ended up talking for about 1/2 an hour. He is a very genuine person that really takes an interest in what you are doing. Where can you find that kind of support these days? Hope it's O.K. that I added that to this post! Here are a couple of pics of what I did. When I first talked to Brian, he also suggested that since I had everything out of the control cavity I might as well copper shield the cavities as well which I did. I am also pretty sure you can get the SD pre-amp pre-wired also. HPIM0308.
    HPIM0302.

8. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    well i think i'm sold lol. ive played some warwicks before and have been completely satisfied, i figure with a $$ configuration i cant go wrong. just called the locl shop and they ordered one in for me. now with the preamp i'll wait before i go crazy with mods but let me get this straight you're using the bartolini right now so you can smooth out the tone, but threw in the sd prior to that and it picked up the mid control? i'm always fiddling with eq's and wouldnt have it any other way im just trying to think of the future with this until i understand it more. so you essentially swapped out the original 2 band eq for a bartolini three? but the sd was more of a boost to the mid freq.

9. frankieg

frankieg

Jun 24, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hartke
    Yes. I took out the orginal 2 band and now have the 3-band bart installed. I wanted to be able to smooth out the tone and mids for certain situations and have it back for others. Waiting for the bart to show up I put the SD in it. The SD equaled More growl, more or less mids depending on how you set it, and more sizzle on the top end. There was no taming this beast with the SD in it!!! If all I needed this bass for was one style and that style being similiar to yours, I would have definately stayed with the SD. Let me know what you think of the $$ when you try it!

10. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    awesome thanks a million i havent even tried it and im already super stoked. yeah i know what you mean the first bass/ amp combo i had was only good for rock and "less extreme" forms of music,. i picked up a few new additions to my aresnal and now im covered with everything but now im looking to do the opposite and find what i would call my signature sound ive been close with the ibanez srx but id like to find something that'll really light a fire under the a** of our music and have a little more hostile flavour i think this is gonna do just that cant wait to try it out thanks again for your help!!!

11. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    well the store messed up the order they brought in a corvette $$ bolt on. and wow i test played it against the euro lx both awesome basses!!! but i found the $$ had a little more punch and growl which is what im after. so i figure the neck thru will be that plus a little extra sustain!!!! so ive ordered one up for purchase. and i'll prolly get myself the the bolt on in a few months for when i play the divers lol. thanks a million guys it was a close race but for me personally the $$ is the way to go. i just prefer its sound and feel when i play it. but like i said a very close race. when it comes to the preamp change i'll try it out in a while on the bolt on when i get it.

12. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    oh and im thinking now of a custom $$ order. theyve got some kick ass options, its just gonna be a while to get that kinda extra $$