Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette or Custom Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Do you guys think i should get a Warwick Corvette for like $900 or a Custom Carvin for around 1000?

2. This is a great question....

They are two diff animals, I have a Corvette 5, and a good friend of mine has a Carvin 5 Fretless...

If you asked my friend he would say get the Carvin, I however like the Corvette... The Carvin is much more versatile, but the Corvette has a distinct tone... Both are great basses and I would have to advise you to play both...

Too bad you live in Elkins Park, that is across the state from me, otherwise I would say jam on my Corvette for a gig, and see what you think, it is definately not for everyone, but I love mine.

3. Thank you for the offer, even though like you said, i unfortunatly can't take you up on that. But i agree with you on your discrips of both. The corvette definately has a distinct tone and all, and i love the action on it. The Carvin on the other hand, since i can have it custom done, i would, if i got it, it would be with the humbucker at the bridge, jazz pickup at the neck, piezo bridge, swamp ash, but like you said, the corvette definately has that sound it's known for. That's why i'm not sure what to do. If it helps at all, which ever i get will be a 4 string and i'll probably use it as my main axe and will probably slap a lot on it.

4. I have never played the four, but the tone can't be much different, I really love my Warwick, and if you like that sound it is a great bass. Heavy as hell I must warn you, but I got used to it.

I don't slap much, but when a song calls for slapping I often use my G&L instead of the Warwick, strictly because of string spacing. The Warwick sounds nice when slapped, but I have a tendency of hitting other innocent strings....

5. well string spacing on a 4 is definatly not too close for slap. Weight wouldn't be an issue because i own a Czech 5 string Spector, so i know weight.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW, the Carvin pups are nothing to write home about but every time I see the Warwick MEC's come up around here, they get beat up.

The Carvin neck is like budda!