Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick corvette or ibanez sr3005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orgy, May 16, 2005.

1. orgy

orgy

May 16, 2005
    Hi guys:

Congratz for this great forum!
    I would like to have some help here.. I'm buying a new bass, I would like to pay 1000€ or a few more! It must be 5 string and active pickups!
    Currently I have in mind a Warwick Corvette Proline (1250€) and Ibanez SR3005 (1450€) <- I really love this one !!
    What do u guys say sr3005 worth it !?
    Thks in advance

Antonio "orgy" Freitas

2. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    get a corvette standard cca. 1000€ an pay extra 200€ for wenge neck and you'll have great bass that cuts trough mix like crazy . it'll blow ibanez away .

3. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    If you like baseball bats then get the warwick, otherwise get ibanez.

4. orgy

orgy

May 16, 2005
    I prefer an "all around" bass to play everything I want.. The equalization of SR is very very good with bartollini pickups..
    The warwick is cheaper but I don't like to play with it very much, the ibanez is softer. For the warwick this is only prolly a first time problem, then it will get "smooth" for me :D
    Thks for u opinions

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Here we go again :rollno:

Just for your information, Warwicks do not have baseball bat necks. :spit:
    The neck on my 6 is as thin as the thin-necked Ibanez 6-ers (21,5 mm) at the first fret. It does start to get thicker and more D-ish at the 12th fret, and the most weird part is the joint, where it becomes rectangular

You have to try these both to see which neck type do you prefer. While W necks are undeniably thicker than many other manufacturer's, they are still not that bad. Ibanez is the complete opposite, with their SR series being one of the thinnest production-bass necks.

Then there is the tone. Well, you have to judge by your ears there.
    What kind of tone do you want from your next bass?
    Corvette Standards is agressive, growly and punchy.
    Corvette Proline: cleaner, clearer and a bit deeper, but still has some of the W signature growl

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh, sorry, I was a bit slow writing...

Corvettes are versatile, too, but they really shine when you let them play their signature sound.

However, if the thin neck of the SR feels better to you, then buy that.
    (BTW, you said it was not smooth? That's strange, the oil-finish on Ws make them have a very smooth, slippery feel)

7. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    So, what year is your corvette ? Mine was 2001, and neck was baseball bat, the sound was ok, but the neck .... eehh.. pain it the a** , i mean my wrist... :D
    Peace

8. Bongo or the Warwick. The Ibanez is probably a fine intrument but a little pricey, don't you think.

The Euro is so strong so you should consider buying from U.S. dealer (unless you want the warwick)

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I totally love the tone of the Warwicks, but that 16mm spacing is just too narrow for me, and they don't offer a wideneck option on it outside maybe a custom shop hyper-expensive model.

And yeah, the neck is a baseball bat, at least IMHO, tho I could put up with that if the strings were just a couple mm farther apart.

I'd vote for the Ibanez purely for playability and maybe a bit of versatility. The W "growl" is great, but it's also very present in all the sounds in the Corvette, so, IMHO, it lacks a little versatility.

Also, as I recall, the pickups are passive in the Warwick. This is very common, and not a problem for me at all, but you say you want actives, I assume you have your reasons, so there you go.

10. orgy

orgy

May 16, 2005
    I play with my first bass Yamaha RBX 650 (4 strings, passive PU's), I like to play it, but the sound.. omg is awful :(
    That's why I want active pickups, the 5 strings is to take a new step playing bass!
    I currently play in 2 bands; one is like nu-metal, the other is only for covers (pop-rock music).
    I also want it to be in wood!
    I can get a ibanez SR3500 cheaper ? This product is no longer in production...
    Thks for all your help guys !!

11. 1450 Euros is like 1850 american dollars. I like ibanez basses but that's a little much for an ibanez. I did a quick search but could not find a price for the sr3005.