Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick: Corvette or Streamer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Dec 3, 2000.

1. My question is. What bass does everyone think is better the Warwick Corvette standard 4 or the Streamer standard 4. I know that everyone just says whatever you like better but I have tried both, each at different stores, and from what I've heard from each bass I honestly cannot tell the difference in the sound or the feel.
    Here's the scenario(and hopefully it's not to confusing)

THE DIFFERENCES
    Streamer - OK bodystyle, hate the front input, big bridge is
    durable but UGLY,the one thing I like is the
    price(it's cheaper).
    Corvette - Beautiful body, love the fully adjustable bridge
    , more pricey.

THE SIMILARITIES
    They both have the same feel and sound to me.

Basically my problem is deciding between the good looks of the corvette and the good price of the streamer. It would really help me if some one could give me a definitive difference between the two based on sound, quality, or anything else at all.

2. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    I just recently bought a corvette standard and i love it, i think that the looks alone are worth the extra cost, but the bridge is an added bonus.

3. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I was looking to buy a new bass and really like the warwicks. i ended up buying the corvette std. why? well i think there was alot of difference between these two basses. the streamer was alot lighter and made of a different wood and had a different tone. the corvette which is made from bubinga and a much different sound and tone that i liked better, plus i liked the looks better too, so i decided to spend the extra 200 and get the corvette. good luck with your decision.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey Belair,

pay the extra dough for the bass you like, those extra 200(or so) you will earn again by hard work but you won't be able to afford another bass every month, so if you have to wait (or sell your mother's jewlery ;-)) to get the money for the Corvette then go for it.
    buy what you like, money is not an issue when the price is close and you favour one option over the other.

5. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I bought a Corvette 6 fretless a couple of months ago from Bass Central down in Florida. I have to say that the tone out of the bass is wonderful, and after getting used to the thick neck, the playability is very good. The only gripe I have, and it is becoming a big one, is that the balance is off. When I stand and play the thing, the headstock tends to dive until the neck is parallel to my body. I can hold it up and play, but that tends to wear me out after a while. I have tried about 4 different straps, including a 4inch wide leather stick-to-your-shoulder kind of strap, and the headstock still dove. So, if you are still contemplating, make sure the balance works for you.

By the way, if anyone is interested in buying my Warwick 6 fretless, email me at silvermanez@yahoo.com.

6. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I asked that very question of a salesman at Daddy's Junky Music about a week ago.
    He said the only difference is the body wood, the bridge, and the body shape.
    Is that worth the extra $200? I guess that's up to you, but for the week or two or three it may take to save the extra cash, you could own the bass for years and years.
    Either way, good luck and have fun with it.

-- Bill

7. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    Go with the corvette if you can afford it. The Streamer Std. is a decent bass, but the active 'vette gives you more tone colors at your disposal.

The wenge/bubinga combo in the 'vette gives you a tight punchy sound, and an almost Jaco-like nasal tone with the preamp cut and bridge p/u soloed. Engage the preamp and the characteristic warwick growl comes through. I've yet to find moire versatility at this price.

The Streamer Std. doesn't feel much like the warwick, although the neck is the same wenge. The body looks blocky, and nothing like the rest of the warwick range. You're not paying that much more for an instrument that will serve you well. Get the 'vette. You won't regret it.

8. Thanks guys, you've been a great help. I guess I will go with the corvette. I just need to start saving up some more money.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I bought a Corvette Standard 5 a few months ago for $950 from Rik's Music in Knoxville. I have noticed that every now and then these guitars are available at reduced prices. I'd comb the Internet and not be afraid to buy over the phone. Be absolutely sure that you are dealing with a reputable company. Bass Central in Orlando is another good shop. Now for the comparisons. Since I've not played a Streamer, I can only review the Corvette. It's beautiful for one. Most people just stand there and ogle it. Soundwise, it's woody and rich sounding, although I've added some mid-range EQ (effects box) to complement the on-board treble and bass controls. The neck although "D" shaped is smooth and fast. The guy that set up the guitar when I got it was thrilled with all the adjustable features, especially the nut. I agree with the balance issue. I've gone to a wide, rough padded leather strap to keep the guitar stuck on my shoulder. It's heavier than most basses, but the wood and the quality by far outweigh it! I just don't see a better bass out there for the money I paid for it, certainly not a 5 string. I also think that the guitar will hold its value reasonably well.

10. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Well that's weird, I played both this weekend and thought the Streamer was much better than the Corvette.

To each his own...

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Domino, there are several Streamer models.

Was that a Streamer standard(Warwick's entry level model) or a Streamer LX? An LX is easily as good as a Corvette if not better.

Then there is the Streamer Stage I and Stage II.

These are very high end Spector look alikes, very high quality basses that blow the doors off of all of the other Warwick models(IMHO).

12. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    what about the streamer Pro m? what's that all about?
    i tried the streamer Pro m this weekend and the fortress masterman....the masterman just blew my mind i was so confused with the controls

13. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    embellisher, to answer you question i was comparing the streamer standard to a corvette stardard. i personally thought the streamer was a much better feel for me.

14. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    that was a 2 pickup model of the streamer standard, btw.