1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette $$ owners advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lennydog, Jul 18, 2012.

1. lennydog

lennydog

Oct 6, 2009
    OK Guys,
    Here's the thing, I am an inexperienced bass player, I have only been playing 9 months.
    I need to get a new bass and have been offered a German $$ at a really great price.
    I have had a play of it and it feels really great.
    I know they are great rock and metal basses but I am interested to hear from experienced people who use them successfully for other genres of music.
    My main interests are Jazz, soul, r&b and some Blues
    Thanks in advance
    Lenny:D

2. nathank333

nathank333

Mar 17, 2011
    Corvette $$ is an incredible instrument (corvette $$ five was my primary from 2007-2011) I still love that bass and I find myself still picking it up all the time. Regarding your question, one of the things I love about that bass (and frequently mentioned in reviews of the instrument) is the versatility of the tone. With the dual humbucker configuration(also featured on many MM and G&L basses) you can make that bass sound like anything you want, particularly since it also has the series/parallel switching and the option to run it passive. Crazy versatile. I played this bass regularly for a roots reggae/R&B band, a hip-hop project that drew from every genre (in the same set), and a soul-jazz quartet. And I can't tell you how many sound guys and other musicians complimented the tone of that bass. The only things you should keep in mind are the chunky warwick neck profile (which I learned to love) and the fact that the neck H can get in the way while slapping. if you check out the one you're thinking of buying, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if these things will be major obstacles or not. I love my warwick!

3. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Lenny,

The Corvette $$ is an incredibly versatile bass. We see them used by a wide variety of artists, from all genres. In fact, just the other night I attended a Chicago concert - Jason Scheff is an endorsed-artist and a Streamer $$ was the only bass he played the entire night. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks!

4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Isn't Warwick offering a slimmer neck profile again. I really like the slim neck on my 96 Fortress.

5. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I love mine and find it to be very versatile.
    Minor complaint is that I hit my right hand on the pickup, but work around it. Some off that is my technique, and also because the pickups are high.
    Enjoy!

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    They've had a thinner profile since 2009 or so.

My Corvette $$ is an incredibly versatile bass that I use for a lot of things, mainly musical theatre. If it can hang tonally in THAT setting, it can handle pretty much everything.

7. nathank333

nathank333

Mar 17, 2011
    good question for "warwick official", i don't really keep up with gear. but i know that mine from '07 has this nice chunky, but very fast neck. just more ovangkol to touch . . . mmm, ovangkol.

8. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    That's what I thought I'd heard.

As far as the Corvette $$, I've heard it is very flexible tone wise. Haven't had the chance to play one yet.

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    TinIndian,

Correct, we went back to the slimmer neck profile in 2009 as the standard. We now offer 3 neck profiles for 4 string basses, with a 4th (broadneck) profile for 5 and 6 string basses. You can see all of the specs on all neck profiles, here: http://warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/options.php?TYP=WOOD_NECK&submenuID=14620&katID=14626&cl=EN Please let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to assist in any way. Thanks!

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I love my $$. It took me some time but it's my current favorite, and I miss it when playing others. That said, it is a modern sounding instrument. The tone, sustain, and string to string balance are different from old school design. I wouldn't recommend one for someone going for a vintage voiced genre as blues *can* be. If you're looking for that, stick with a Fender derived product. If you want a versatile, well constructed instrument with a more modern feel, its a great option.

11. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    I use mine in a cover band that does primarily 1970s rock. It can get the P-bass tone easily enough. I usually run it passive and cut the volume a bit to get more low end and less input at the amp level. Pulling out the volume knob sends the pickup signal to the blend knob, then straight to the output jack - no caps in the chain. It is a very pure and rich sounding instrument when played in this fashion. The EQ has a natural mid-cut to it, but it's very slight. So activating it and not moving the knobs will still change the tone a bit.

I can get many many many sounds out of this bass. It plays harmonics very well. I recommend Dunlop strings. They are cheap, but they stay punchy and tight and balanced for a very long time. It makes the bass cut through in the mix even easier. If you play metal or rock, try the Rotosound steel strings. They completely change the character of the bass.