Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette Pro PU Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tufnuts, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Hey all.

A Friend of mine was wondering what some good options would be for replacement PU's for his Warwick Corvette pro 4 string. J-bass style PU's, so I'm sure there's limitless options, but he's just prolly just looking for an upgrade from the MEC's. I've suggested S-D's because of success I've had witht their MM pickup.

The bass has the MEC Preamp, how good is that compared to a good S-D, Bart, or other preamp?

Plus some approx prices would be nice, like I said...it's not mine, and I'm just doing some research for him.

Thanks all!

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the preamp is worse than the pickups. the bass sounds pretty nice in passive mode and gets muddled in active - not to mention the noise :(

the ultimate rig would be EMG's or Basslines, wired 18v, with a J-Retro for preamp, but that'd total out a smidge under $500 bucks.

i'd stick with EMG or Basslines for pickups, and an EMG, basslines, aguilar, demeter, bart, east, etc preamp.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I found the MEC's to be unreliable. I got so fed up I ripped the whole thing out and installed the Alembic PVF system ordered from Bass Central.

I did look at Barts EMGs and the now gone Lane Poors.

4. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i like MEC...but EMGs sound cool on corvettes as well.