1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette Pro PU Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tufnuts, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Hey all.

A Friend of mine was wondering what some good options would be for replacement PU's for his Warwick Corvette pro 4 string. J-bass style PU's, so I'm sure there's limitless options, but he's just prolly just looking for an upgrade from the MEC's. I've suggested S-D's because of success I've had witht their MM pickup.

The bass has the MEC Preamp, how good is that compared to a good S-D, Bart, or other preamp?

Plus some approx prices would be nice, like I said...it's not mine, and I'm just doing some research for him.

Thanks all!

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the preamp is worse than the pickups. the bass sounds pretty nice in passive mode and gets muddled in active - not to mention the noise :(

the ultimate rig would be EMG's or Basslines, wired 18v, with a J-Retro for preamp, but that'd total out a smidge under $500 bucks.

i'd stick with EMG or Basslines for pickups, and an EMG, basslines, aguilar, demeter, bart, east, etc preamp.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I found the MEC's to be unreliable. I got so fed up I ripped the whole thing out and installed the Alembic PVF system ordered from Bass Central.

I did look at Barts EMGs and the now gone Lane Poors.

4. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i like MEC...but EMGs sound cool on corvettes as well.