Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Monkey, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I offered to replace the volume pot on a Warwick
    Corvette for a student. He complained that the volume control had no effect over most of its range, and changed radically at the very end. I thought it might be a linear taper pot, so I put in a replacement 500k ohm audio taper pot. The same thing happened, however. There is a noticeable click just below the full-on position.

Have any of you experienced this? I don't think it's the pot, which is brand new. Could it have something to do with the blend pot? Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hello Monkey long time no see

Is it an active or passive bass?

This bump might attrtact someone who knows what they are talking about.

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Hi, CS. I've been in London with my daughter, so I've been scarce lately. The bass is passive, and has a master volume, blend pot, and tone pot. The bass is fretless and has a very punchy tone, but the volume control is pretty much useless unless cranked. I usually leave passive basses cranked all the time, but it is bothering the owner.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    500 tend to be for humbuckers on a passive circuit.

Hoped you liked dear old blighty and also hope a pickup guru can help.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks, CS. We had a great time in London, and went to Avebury and got a special pass to go in among the stones at Stonehenge. It was amazing.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I've been to Stonehenge but not in there.

We're not getting very far with your pot problem (volume not drugs) are we?

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    If you liked Stonehenge, you really should visit Avebury, which is about 25 miles away, I think. It is much larger than Stonehenge, but very different. There is actually a little village and pub in the middle of the earthwork, and very impressive huge stones. The church in the circle is beautiful, too. Silbury Hill, the largest man-made mound in Europe, is a mile away. For some reason, going to sites like these stimulate the same regions in my brain as music does. I live in an area of lots of mounds and earthworks by Native Americans, and they have the same effect on me.

This is really fun, but you are right, I'm learning nothing about my pickup problem!