1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Corvette $$ - really cheap on ebay = Ska is suspicious

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ska, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Ska

Ska

Nov 20, 2007
    So yeah, I've been looking at Corvettes on ebay, and I've come across quite a few of the $$ models for really cheap, like in the $600-$800 range. And they're all from different sellers as well, with no obvious reasons why they'd be so cheap. Normally a $$ goes for $1700-$1800 (at least from GC and MF), so needless to say, I'm wondering why the heck some of these are so cheap. Maybe I'm overly suspicious, but I've found in a lot of these cases that if something looks too good to be true...it probably is. Anybody got any advice for me?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's hard to say. When the $$ first came out, "normal street price" was $1100ish out the door, and you could usually talk a retailer to go under that. The prices you are talking about would be the "normal" used price for the $$ at their old price. The price hike in Warwicks was abrupt, and perhaps some sellers just aren't aware that the retail prices have gone through the roof. That's just a guess.

Also, is that they price these basses are going for with a Buy It Now, or are they just auctions?

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It could be that the sell is setting the starting price low hoping there will be a bidding war and the price will go much higher during the auction.

4. If it seems too good to be true, it often is. The $$ models are new enough that I wouldn't expect them to be going real cheap just yet. You're sure it's $$ ones at $600-800? Standards go as low as $550 or so now & then.

Edit: I just checked & found 1 at $1,000, 1 at $1,400 & a few over 2G. The going rate it seems.

5. Ska

Ska

Nov 20, 2007
    Well, the particular one I'm watching is a black $$ that's at $660 right now, and the auction ends in 4 hours.

Oh, and Superduck, barely any of these that i'm looking at even have a buy-it-now, which I thought was kind of interesting as well.

6. i haven't priced out the $$'s used but as others have said, the standard corvettes go for dirt cheap used.. they don't resale well.

7. Ska

Ska

Nov 20, 2007
    Interesting...any ideas why they don't? You'd think a bass like a warwick would hold it's value pretty well.

8. Corvettes are hecka common & at the bottom of the genuine Warwick line.

9. Ska

Ska

Nov 20, 2007
    Auction ends in an hour and the bid is still at $660...aahhhh, the suspense!

10. I can't understand why anyone would bid more than 30 seconds before the end- it only drives the price up.

Edit: What auction are you talking about? I don't see any that end in an hour.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021