1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warwick corvette refinish.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by archer drums, Nov 6, 2013.

1. archer drums

archer drums

Nov 6, 2013
    so there is a corvette 5 BO at my local guitar center for very cheap. the body is dinged at little and has some scratches on it. im a drum builder and all of the drums i build have a stain and top coat on them so i know how to "finish" wood. but iv never done a RE-finish. is there anything i should know, tips, tricks. or just buy it and leave it alone. its a black natural finish with what seems to be a light top coat. i was planning on sanding it down most of the way to just get rid of the smaller dings and scratches and then re-finish it in black agin. any pointers?

2. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    I do some painting on a different degree and the thoughts you have crossed my mind as well! Subscribed!

3. archer drums

archer drums

Nov 6, 2013
    haha

4. archer drums

archer drums

Nov 6, 2013
    so i picked up the corvette today. im having trouble figuring out how to post pictures up here but ill figure it out. does anyone have any pointers on stripping the top coat and sanding down the finish?

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'd just sand the finish off carefully.

6. I refinished my 'vette. It was a trans red Ash body. I just sanded it by hand. The finish isn't that thick so it really wasn't too bad. I don't think you need any kind of chemical stripper or heat. (Note: Some of the Rockbass versions may have much thicker poly finishes, but my old German proline just had a little tint and a thin topcoat)

I finished if with Tru-Oil tinted with black linseed artist pigment. I'm sure if you have a little experience finishing that you won't find it too hard. Just sand, prep, and paint.

I actually want to refinish mine with a light coat of black spray poly, like the Warwick factory Nirvana Black, which is what yours is if I understand correctly.

Fantastic basses. Enjoy your Corvette.

7. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    If it's a thin satin finish from Germany, just use some sandpaper and caution.

If it's a thick Asian finish, I would seriously reconsider how badly it needs a refinish. One of the ways they cut cost in Asian factories is by spraying on the finish so thick that the workers can go straight to the buffing wheel for a shine without fear of "burning through." They skip wetsanding altogether. The result is that the finishes are nearly impossible to get off.

The good news is that you can spray lacquer on top of cured poly without fear. So it might make the most sense to do drop fills where needed (using CA glue) and then rough the finish up very well with some 220, and start a base coat of primer.

If none of that made any sense, you can click on the "see what's inside" link to this book and find good info on chip repair:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide/dp/0879309210#reader_0879309210

8. archer drums

archer drums

Nov 6, 2013
    its a german one.