1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Corvette Standard 5 vs Streamer Stage II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaquerFunkMonk, May 10, 2006.

1. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    Does Anyone Know the difference between these two? Aside from the obvious body shape and dotted inlays. I have a Corvette Standard I picked up 3 weeks ago and Im in love with it. Best bass I've ever played. But i heard the Streamer Stage II Sounds exacly the same. I like the Streamer. Maybe one day i'll get one, but purely for asthetic reasons. I like the look. Is there any reason i should get it,other than the sweet look of it? cuz my Corvette standard 5 Sounds AMAZING!

2. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Other than the obvious shape and price:

- Streamer SII is neck-through-body, Corvette is bolt-on
    - Streamer body wood is Afzelia, Corvette is Bubinga
    - Streamer preamp is 3-way, Corvette is 2-way

You can double-check for yourself here.

3. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    My first bass was a Corvette Standard 5. Once I tried a SSII, I was on a mission to save up and buy one. I'm saying the Corvette doesn't sound awesome because it does. The two basses don't sound anything alike to my ears to be honest. Once you'll play a SSII, you'll know why it's THE Warwick to own...

4. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have to say that the tone was close. It depends on what part of the warwick sound you want. I thought the corvette had all of the punch and growl of the ssII. It was lacking an indistinct singing quality, but for twice the price, it was not NEARLY worth it for me.

5. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    Im extremely happy with my buy, one day I'll have all Warwicks!

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Would anyone say that the SS2 sounds fuller/fatter than the Corvette? I own a Corvette and I'm GASsing for an SS2, but I'd like an (even) fuller tone than my Corvette's.

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Can't help you with opinions between the two. I can say that I saw an Ian Gillan (of Deep Purple) show last night and the bass player, Rodney Appleby, was playing a Warwick Corvette five string. His sound was one of the best bass sounds I have ever heard in my life. I have seen well over a hundred live shows and the bass sound was unbelievable....

8. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    What I meant is if the SS2's sound is less compressed, or more open/breathing if you like. I feel that the Corvette has a very thick tone, like taking all frequencies and squeezing them into one... which is not necessarily a bad thing if you like that, but I'm getting tired of this approach.

9. Well corvette also comes in ash (the one I got), and I just love the sound of ash.. really amazing wood. But I havent tried a ss II yet

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you want to do it on the cheap, then try leaving your strings on for a longer time. It will loose some of the strong highs and a good bit of the low-mid honkiness. And it'll even save you money ;)
    Also, play closer to the neck, and use more of the neck p-up. Has some nice fat P-ish tone :smug:
    And you can even try other p-ups.
    You see, there are lots of ways. ;)

11. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, I always keep my strings for a long time for that reason. About changing the pickups: I've thought of that, but after hearing some samples of a corvette with emgs on another thread, I saw that the difference was not all that dramatic; still had this naturally compressed tone I now want to avoid.
    BTW we're both in Europe and play Corvettes through 1210s :smug:

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, with my DR LR and AMP setup, and my technique, it doesn't sound that compressed...
    EMG also has a sort of mid honkiness to it. A Bart or SD setup might sound different. How's about nickel strings? Or good flats?

13. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    Not to change the subject, but what is the difference between a SS1 and SS2 5 String? I assume wood changes, and I know J vs. HB pups... but anything else? Sound? Playability?