Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette Standard 6 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 15, 2001.

1. I've played the Corvette Standard 5 and dig the hell out of it. The sound is...BEEFY! I've never heard a bass with such a thick, punchy tone, even with the bridge pickup soloed. I'm interested in moving to a six-string (on an Anthony Jackson/John Myung kick) and the Corvette Standard 6 looks appealing (the Proline 6 does not, as the Fortress 5s I've played, which are the same bass as the Proline for all intents and purposes, had a "pretty" sound which wouldn't stand a chance in a high-volume situation). I have a couple of questions, though:

1. How is the balance? My wrists are very sensitive (tendinitis in the right one, getting there in the left) and I know that some people have had awful problems with Warwicks.

2. How is the playability? The Corvette 5 I played had a really beefy neck and it was a bit difficult to manage, but I was sitting down, which is an entirely different ballgame.

3. Is the string spacing so tight as to make fingerstyle difficult (a la the 5-string Rickenbacker)?

4. Do the MEC soapbars have the same punchy sound as the active J pickups on the Corvette 5?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Other sixes I've got my eye on are the Yamaha TRB6-II, an NOS Ibanez SR3006 (if I can score one), the Carvin LB76, and the upcoming Conklin Groove Tools 6.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    analogkid9 (or anyone else with info.),
    Do you have any kind of scoop on the GT-6. I just e-mailed Bill Conklin on 2-13-2001 about it, and all he really told me is that the GT-6 should be available some time in 2001.
    I've been wanting a 6-string for months, but I'm waiting for the GT-6 before I buy anything.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, analog...i'm lookin' out for ya man...i found this at bass north west...it's used, but it looks like it's in good shape, and it's pretty cheap, too...from the other 3006's i've seen. most banez basses i've ever played were really horrible pieces of wood...or luthite...but the prestige series basses have all seemed pretty good.
    http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/ibanez_sr3006_mahogany_6_st.htm

4. Yeah, I saw that a few days back. Looks sexy, and the pricetag is just too good. The TRB6-II they have there is pretty money, too.

5. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I had a Corvette Std 6 for about a year, and would still have it if I hadn't realized I'm more inclined to play my fivers.

I don't have any experience with the Corvette fivers, but I thought the 6 was super-punchy and quite well-balanced. I've got several other Warwicks, the only one with balance quirks is the Thumb 5 NT. I got mine from Bass NW (great price and super service), and even though the neck is a mite wide, the superbly low action made it quite easy to play... and I have small hands. Excellent bass all the way around. If it DID have a problem, it might be the weight, but I only found it difficult on 5-set nights.

In my experience, they're great basses (and great values, too).

6. How much did you pay for yours? IME, a new Corvette 5 typically runs $1200. I am looking to get this bass sometime next summer so I have a while to save up.

7. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    1299 brand new, although if you look you can probably come in well below that used.

I had a Roscoe SKB-3006, and to me, the Corvette had the nicer/faster neck. The Roscoe was pretty sweet though, and punchy to boot, but more "traditional" sounding to my old ears!