Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette Standard.and pick-ups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RevengeIseek, Jan 28, 2005.

1. I am thinking about pickin up a corvette standard when i have the money which will be in about a month or two and was thinkin a what kind of pick-ups would be an upgrade. I was thinking EMG. Could some one give me a link or something to where i could find the pick-ups, and would you recommend the corvette.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I replaced the stock MEC:s with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, and i'm very happy with them. I have EMG:s in my Thumb Bass, and though they fit the Thumb, I don't think they would be as nice with the Corvette.

3. well i saw a used thumb at GC for 1300 and im not sure what im gonna settle on. I think im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a used thumb online. Its a little hard right now cause i dont have the money so it would be hard to see a good deal slip away.

4. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    i have a corvette 4 standard with bartolomi actives and they sound great but not that much better than the standard p/j style.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd rather change the preamp than the p-ups. The p-ups are not so bad, but the weak link here is the preamp

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I previously owned a Corvette 4 that I put DiMarzio Model J's and an Aguilar OBP-3 in. The DiMarzio Model J's sounded amazing, and if I did it again, I would leave the Aguilar OBP-3 out of it and just keep it passive.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Corvette stndar comes pasive and has an upcharge to get it active with 2 band preamp.

8. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    IF I WERE YOU I would save up about $400 more dollars and go with the Corvette proline. It is definately worth the extra cash. It has active electronics and a flame maple body. Both make the bass sound WAY better than the standards. Also the flame maple body makes the prolines much lighter than the standards. IMO the standards are way to heavy to a point were they are not practical for use live. Trust me I know, I owned a fretless standard corvette. The prolines are amazing right off the showroom floor. I have owned 3 warwicks, a fretless corvette standard, a 2002 LTD FNA corvette jazzman, and a 1988 corvette streamer, and I still think that the corvette proline is bottom line the BEST warwick for the money. You should definately check it out bro. :bassist:

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

How did you managed to get a crossover between the 'vette and the streamer? i mean did warwick make one just for you?

10. I don't to intend to hi-jack this thread but I'm also a Warwick Corvette standard player and also planning to upgrade the pickups/preamp.

I always loved my Corvette (been playing it steadily (sp?) for three years now) but since I bought a G&L L2000 last summer the 'vette sounds quite weak, missing power... What pickups would be great to make it a better sounding; make it a better compagnon for the G&L? Any ideas?

11. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First off, would I recommend the Corvette, definitely. I think it's a great bass and mine served me well for 7 years until I went the 5-string route. Anyways I've had some experience with upgrading the electronics. I was originally considering the Bartolini route but their 3-band EQ would not fit the cavity and I'm not all that partial to Barts. I ended up going with EMGs and their 3 band EQ. Sounded great but took a while to get everything ordered. The local tech I use ordered and installed everything. The sound was great and the EQ was very flexible but not really full sounding in this bass, not as meaty than with the original pickups. But very clear and dynamic. To be honest, I had great results just running the bass with the original MECs through an outboard Aguilar 924 preamp. Man did that sound great, full and warm but still retained the characteristics of the MECs. Should have left well enough alone I guess.

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wrong. There is a cheaper version of the 4-string Corvette standard that comes with passive p-ups and preamp. There's also another version that is made of ash, not bubinga. And one more that had ash body with P + J p-ups.

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) As I said, only the cheaper version 4 comes with passie electronics. The other ones are active.
    2.) It is not much lighter. According to W's specs, they weigh the same. However, they have different tones. Maple makes it a bit cleaner, clearer. I originally wanted to get a Proline, but I had a good deal on the Standard, so I got that; dont really regret it now. I like growl :smug:

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hmmm i really enjoy the mecs that came with my old corvette pro-line. But i guess for some reason i had to replace them i would go with barts! Also my 95 pro-line is active! But that was way back in the day when you couldnt even get a pro-line in the states. Also its swamp ash, its amazing how much they have changed since they first came out!

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Indeed...
    A Proline with ash body/maple top would be great - it would be much lighter.

However, is it fully swamp ash? If so, then there was a version of the Standard in ash... maybe you have that?

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    both wrong, i went to warwick site and read that as of electronics the standar comes with preamp, theres is another one that comes with singlecoils and no preamp (not singlecoils + preamp). Never heard about warwick using active pickups, just active EQ.

17. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Well I found it at guitar center in Boston. It was a handmade Warwick from 1988. I guess there were only about 150 made. Supposedly it came direct from Europe, Ireland to be exact. It had the body shape of a corvette, but with a birdseye maple top, walnut back, and maple neck with wenge fingerboard. The body was chambered out and it had F holes. It looked exactly like the Infinity LTD 2000 but with the body shape of a corvette. I never saw another one like that.

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

1988 roolz :D , it seems to be a great bass a nice pic would be apreciated.

19. When you buy your Vette, slap on some new strings and either set it up yourself or get it set up at the store. Then, I think you'll find that the passive MEC's sound great. When I bought mine, it was a choice of the Vette Std or a FNA Jazzman with the ash/maple body. The FNA was a nice looking and all, but the Vette just sounded better acoustically and amplified. Of course this is all IMHO. Someone else has suggested that you change just the preamp first and I'd agree. Then you'll have the equivalent of a Proline for an additional $100 instead of $400. Lots of room in the cavity for a preamp and battery. :) JD

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Like a couple of others, I agree with upgrading the preamp and leaving the stock MECs in there.

I have owned Corvettes, with a Bart 3 band, EMG 3 band, Seymour Duncan STC-3 and used an Aguilar OBP-3 as an outboard unit. I have to say that the OBP has the best tone. The lows just sounded tighter. The EMG 3 band is great with the sweepable mids, but the tone of the Aguilar is better in my opinion. I also have a Corvette Proline with Seymour Duncan Basslines in them, and it sounds more aggressive than it did with MECs. All the preamps mentioned will make your signal hotter.

Contrary to another poster, I have fit a 3 band Bartolini preamp in my Corvette with no problems.