Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette standard, economy model or High quality instrument?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peatroosio, Aug 20, 2000.

1. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    I've heard many people say that the corvette standard sucked, and was one of the lower quality instruments out there, The list of $1300 and a chance to play one have lead me to believe that it is a fabulous bass and I've been trying to sqeeze every last penny out of everything I have so I can afford to get one. But what are your opinions? What do you like or dislike about it? Also where would be the cheapest place to get one? Do they usually come with a case?

2. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I haven't tried the Corvette Standard, but I did actually buy a Streamer Standard (2 pickup model), and wound up returning it. The build quality is first class, not doubt about it. However, the neck is a bit "chunky", the bell brass frets buzz too much and, most importantly, the went cheap on the pickups. It is a very dull sounding bass -- low output, nearly no treble or high-mids. To make things worse, not too much bottom, either. It'd be worth your while I'd think if you weren't adverse to replacing the pickups down the road -- I think you'd have a nice bass if you put maybe a nice set of Alembics in.

3. I played a Warwick Corvette fretless at GC for over an hour yesterday and I really liked it. Had a good tone, nice aesthetics, great neck, and nice balance. Price was $780. The three reasons I wouldn't get it are: I prefer the sound of a Jazz fretless, that money is out of the budget, and I don't like oil finishes. Otherwise, a very nice player!

4. IMHO it's a good quality instrument. I own a Corvette Standard 5 string and I happen to like it (I also own a neck thru Thumb 4). I wanted a 5 and I happen to love Warwicks. When I bought it, I played it side by side with a Fender Jazz 5 (passive)and a Yamaha TRB5 (active). For me, the feel and sound were better than the others I tried. My advice is if you like the feel and sound of the Vette then buy it. It's not top of the Warwick line but it's still a better quality bass than some makers put out as their premium model. BTW, it sounds to me that the Streamer Standard that Offbase played was in bad shape set-up wise. My Vette doesn't buzz at all and for some reason as far as output goes, it sounds louder than my Thumb although the tone is different due to the differences in the on-board electronics and overall construction. If you like it, buy it!

ZB

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I own a nech thru thumb 4 and I was thing about making the switch to a fretless...I really love warwicks, and I'll prolly get another...enter the Corvette...I thought it was awesome...it sounded great...a lot of mwah unplugged, and it was comfortable. Plugged in, it really growled...I would prolly go with a different set of pickups though...I played a corvette six string as well...it was set up correctly, so I didn't run into any string buzz or anything like that...I can't say that I dig the vettes as much as my thumb, but for the money they are really nice basses...and now u can get the vettes in bubinga...I think they used to come in ash or something...anyway, they rock...that's my .02

6. I have played a Corvette with active pups, which I guess isn't the standard, whicg I think has passive pups. t was well made, but too middy for my taste (I am a Fender guy). I liked the neck, but would prefer an alder body. Not a POS by any means.

Andy

7. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I just bought a corvette standard 5 string with active pickups from airport music. I think it is a really good deal. The Warwick I have has that nice signature Warwick growl to it but it also has more punch to it than I thought. And if you like the passive sound better you can bypass the active tone controls. Some people don't like the neck, but I think it's great, I have pretty small hands and I can play just about anything on it. I can tell you that any economy model that costs over 1000 dollars is not going to be a piece. The only drawback to it is probably the weight (8 or 9 pounds). But my other bass is a Peavey Milestone IV which weighs probably about half of that. I actually prefer the sound of the corvette std. to a thumb bolt on. If you have the money, you should seriously think of getting it.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Tried one today at store and the slaptone was just nice - and i diden't even plug in! Must ask what strings they used on that one, I think they might be EBS's, from what I have heard from my friend. The neck felt and looked bit odd tho,
    the wood on their Fortress felt better.. But anyways you
    can get em for 500 bucks used, or perhaps you can even bid to 600 in store. Streamer STDs however have had quite much negative comments I think.

9. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    My Vette Standard is the greatest bass I have ever owned.
    Granted there are nicer models...but not for $779.00

10. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    where did you get it for that much? the one for $779?

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    One of the reasons I wouldn't get a lower end fretless Warwick is this: I checked one of those basses out at GC and I noticed that there fingerboard had a different colour where it was worn. It turns out Warwick paints the fingerboard of its "budget" models. No, I don't think it was a protective cover; it was more of a hide the real wood color cover, sorta like what I have on my $200 Sigma steel string acoustic.

Will C.:cool:

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yikes! really? that seems a bit cheap

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Will, you mean on budget models or on budget fretlesses?

To my knowledge there is only one Warwick budget model
    and thats Streamer STD. Says on their pages. Now who would
    want a Streamer STD when you can get Corvette for couple hundred more, I don't know..

Diden't even like Streamer STD 5 so guess that ain't so good.

14. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    Regarding the neck wood on the Corvette Standard.

Up until 1999 the neck wood was Wenge. It's a very dark textured wood...and it feels great.
    Now, right around October of 99, a civil war broke out in the region of Africa where the Wenge is cut. Warwick was unable to get Wenge and had to start using Ovankol for the Corvette's Neck wood. Ovankol is mocha in color and quite smooth.

Now regarding the fretboard treatment...roundwound strings will chew it to death, regardless of what you coat it with.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I'm glad I got my 'wick when I did.....civil war??? that's insane! I was wondering what this whole Ovankol kick was all about...thankies for the update on the world situation...

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    On the budget fretless. They go for $749 or so at GC.

Will C.:cool:

17. WillieMammoth

WillieMammoth

Aug 29, 2005
    I just picked up a Corvette std passive and I could not be happier. I knew this was a fine instument before I plugged it in and I think I played it for over an hour once I did. The tone and sustain are awesome and the adjustable nut and the most versitile bridge I have ever seen allow for virtually ANY setup. The neck is thicker than a Jazz bass but I quickly got used to it and I cant seem to put this one down. It's less expensive, yes, but keep in mind that the bass is as simple as it gets. There are no active electronics (at least not for the $790 price tag on mine) and there are no fretboard inlays. A natural finish also keeps the price down.

18. The ebony board on fretless necks are exactly the same weather you are talking about a lower priced corvette or a higer priced Streamer stage II or anything in between. Warwick dye all their ebony boards black and it does wear off to show some brown streaking through the board. Some boards are going to be more streaky than others depending on the cut of wood.
    Now if you talking about a warwick rockbass... thats a different story.

19. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    I LOVE my corvette 5 string. Its got a wenge fingerboard. Try to find one of those i personally think they sound better. But the tone is great and its very versitle and never hums or buzzes. I absolutly love it!

20. i really like the std corvettes...especially the passive ones