Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick corvette standard fretless, or Fender Victor Bailey jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jay43, Jan 4, 2006.

1. jay43

jay43

Jan 4, 2006
    torn between my next bass, a warwick corvette standard or fender Victor Bailey jazz bass. the warwick is cheaper than the fender, but i'm willing to wait a little longer if I like the fender better. I've played the warwick (fretless) and it was a blast to play and it is a very nice looking guitar. I havn't played or seen the fender in person, only seen it in the fender catalog. I was just hoping to get some feedback maybe to help my decision :bag:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you really want a fretless, I would recommend the Corvette. I love Warwick Corvettes! They have a great tone, and although they have a big Warwick style neck, they are comfortable. I've heard that Victor Bailey sig is great, but it is fretted and a much more expensive bass.

3. Well, decide if you want a fretless or fretted more, then, your decision makes itself. :D

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Man, those are two *completely* different basses, kind of a matter of what you're after. Personally, I'd go with the Victor Bailey, the Corvette has way too much neck dive for my tastes and the VB is one heck of a sweet bass.

5. I haven't played a Warwick Corvette and I've never liked the looks of the Warwicks, but I can say a little something about the Victor Bailey Sig. I've never owned or gigged with one, but I spent some time with one at a Sam Ash and running through a decent Ampeg rig, this thing just sounded great. Definitely one of the best Fender basses out there, if you're looking for a more modern sound than the classic passive Fender Jazz. Modern and growly, but still with a good bit of warmth and a very nice onboard EQ. The neck was slim and very comfortable and the fit and finish was the best I had seen on any Fender short of the Custom Shops. A great bass, but you'll only know if you like it better if you play it yourself.

As for the fretted/fretless issue, well, I'd probably make that take precedence first.

6. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I don't know what it is... But every time I go to a music store, that Warwick Corvette Fretless tries to make me take it home with me... It just feels and sounds great to me.

It is really up to you though... I've not played the Victor Bailey sig...

7. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I have the Victor Bailey sig bass. It is an awesome bass. It balances prefectly and sounds great IMHO. It is now my go to bass.

I don't have experience with the fretless corvette standard but I did have a fretted model for about 29 days (guitar center loan ;-) ). I liked the sound of it but the neck dive got to me. It didn't "fit my frame" so to speak. Your mileage may vary.

8. I have a Warwick thumb and will be trading in my MIA Deluxe Jazz for the Victor Bailey Sig (It just plain sounds better IMO)

The Corvette should be closer to the Fender Jazz tone, due to the pickup placement, but the Warwick and Fender are really two very different tones...

9. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Well, these are two different basses, simply because of the fact the one is fretless. I think it depends on what basses you currently have now. If you're looking to upgrade your main fretted bass, I'd say the VB. Beautiful looking bass. I saw him at a clinic with one and, while it wasn't my cup of tea, it did have a nice modern jazz bass tone. If you already have a nice fretted bass, and are just gassing for another bass, then you might consider a fretless. But ask yourself, how often would you play it. Some people play fretless exclusively. Myself, I'll play fretless every once in a while. Not quite enough to justify having one, but I do enjoy bringing it out.

10. I would buy the Warwick - no questions asked.

But hey...that's me. What I want might not be what you want.

;)

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    love the corvette fretlesses as well...have yet to play a vb jazz...great lookign fender though, and i am a "jazz bass guy" so...

12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    i would say buy a used corvette fretless and a new geddy lee....2 basses for the cost of the vb...problem solved.

13. mmm warwick fretless. i played one on wednesday at guitar center, after farting around on the fretted ones(check sig.. i play fretted when the planets line up :hyper:) and then the hawks moved in and the guy actually knew jaco, herbie ya kow the good stuff, and i was like yeah im just messing around i dont play fretted bass, i only have a fretless, and low and behold out of the corner behind 2 other warwicks comes the beautiful unlined corvette standard fretless. it was really awesome to play, it sounded nicer than my fender in some mays(pretty much just the fingerboard, and the crazy growly mwah you could), but to me it wasnt quite as comfortable it was probably that the neck was bigger. so it has inspired me to get my fretboard epoxied. i thaqt and fralins itll all come in under the tag price of that corvette(900). get the corvette ya cant go wrong.
    p.s. does anyone know if they make them with lines? my intonation was ok with out them, but i like to have them there.