Warwick Corvette Standard (Passive) Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kragen, Mar 14, 2006.

1. kragen

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm on the look out for a decent (second instrument) fretless bass. I've become hooked on the feel and tone, and ive only played one fretless before!

I'm after a 4 string, with a natural wood finish (really not a fan of varnish / paint finishes), with no fretlines. I found I was fairly restricted, so seeing as I will be spending a fair bit, I might as well spend a little more and get something I really like.

I love the look of the corvette, I've read a lot about the build quality of warwicks, and according to all the reviews I've read, it's no different for this bass, the one thing I was concerned about was the tone - many reviews mentioned that the tone (although very nice), isnt very "versatile" and might not suit everyone.

Anyway, just wondered what others thought of this bass, and if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative
  2. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    if you have a line on a corvette at a good price, i say go for it. it does definitely have it's own character, which you either like or you don't, and it most closely resembles a jazz bass sound, since it is a j/j passive setup. i have found that right hand position is incredibly vital in controlling the sound of my warwick, moreso than other basses i've owned. i personally love the warwick sound, and find that it is incredibly punchy and rich, and cuts through a mix like a hot knife. i can say none of those things about the fenders i used to own, even the fretted active jazz 5. i could never get them to be the basses i wanted them to be. go for the corvette, you won't regret it. i will suggest buying a wide strap for it, as it is a bit heavier than some basses, even my musicmans, which i'm in love with!
  3. I can vouch for the fact you will not be dissapointed with a Fretless warwick - some of the finest fretless basses out there have a W on the headstock.

Just make sure you dig the Warwick vibe before taking the plunge, they arent for everyone.
  4. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I've also got a corvette std 4 fretless and I just love it.

It feels and plays oh so nice! I got a ton of compliments on my sound after my first gig using it.

I can get some nice punchy hellacious sound out of it (you wouldn't even know it was fretless) or a more gentle mwah-y fretlessy sound.

It is a touch heavy, so you'll want a decent strap.
  5. +1 The woods Warwick use are very dense and heavy, but they are the key to the compressed mids that make up the "Warwick sound". Funky!
  6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve owned one and agree that is a great bass. I´m not a good fretless player and the unlined FB was a bit tough for me.

The tone is great, lots of mwahhh with a deep, warm vibe. I was a bit concerned about the neck profile, since some Warwick models are known for their baseball bat shape. No problem with this one (or the other Corvettes).

I also suggest you to get a good strap since the Bubinga - Ebony combo is quite heavy.
  7. THUMPER73533

Feb 23, 2006
    go for it. i played the frettless and it sounds great. one of the most solid basses i've ever played (35yrs) you'll be proud to own one. i'm expecting fretted one in any day now. i may have to get the frettless as well.
  8. oddbass

Feb 10, 2006
    the best fretless there is, is a corvette with bubinga body and ebony fingerboard....!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Another vote to go for it! I think it's a great sounding and looking bass. As others have said, it's a heavy bass, so a good strap is something to consider, but it will have perfect balance. For me, I find that everytime I pickup one of these (fretted or fretless) I'm amazed at how veratile these bass are just by using the pickup balance knob and adjusting your right hand position.
  10. If you get worried about the weight, and have a LITTLE more to spend, try out the FNA Jazzman. I've got the 5-string fretless and it's got the swamp-ash body. It's lighter, but the tone is still great. Give it a shot before you decide, if there's one near you to try out.
  11. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Nah...it's a Corvette Proline with a flamed maple body...;)

I would love a Corvette Standard to go along with my Proline.
  12. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Corvette Standard Fretless is easily one of the tastiest basses out there. Go for it.