Warwick Corvette Standard pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by epoxo57, Mar 17, 2005.

1. epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I'm thinking of doing a mod to my passive Corvette and want some opinions.
    1. Should I go with active pups? I want a tight, punchy sound for funk and rock.
    2. Should I get an onboard preamp like the EMG or MEC preamp that you can order through a dealer instead for passive pups?
    3. Stay with passive pups? Which sets?

I have had EMG J's, EMG JV's, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups in various other basses, and I think I liked the EMG J's the best for their consistency and percussiveness.

I'd rather stick with 9 volts too. I prefer nickel strings and use a pick on occasion.

Any Corvette users out there with similar experiences and G.A.S.?

Thanks a bunch!
  2. Is there a possibility of your playing a Corvette Proline prior to making your decision on mods? That will let you know if you want to go down that path. Several TB'ers have stated in some recent threads that the Prolines kill.....I've not played a Proline, but then I'm in no hurry to do anything to my passive Vette. I'll have to compare sometime. If it were me, I'd start with Basslines STC-2P and go from there. :)
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to use a '97 Corvette as my primary bass. I almost immediately changed out the stock passive MEC pickups for some DiMarzio Model J's and it was the sweetest bass tone I've ever had. I ended up selling it because the bass was a bit heavy for my taste and I was simply not fond of waxing it, but the tone was unparalleled in my opinion. If I can create that tone in a more maintenance free and lighter bass.... oh boy.....
  4. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    is it possible to order MEC pu's and preamps alone?
  5. Do the MEC's give you that Warwick sound or is it the bass?
  6. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    IMO its the MECs.. because even the Rockbass series sound very "warwick-y" even through its a maple neck, alder body, rosewood fb, etc.. instead of bubinga/wenge/ovangkol etc..
  7. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    hey man,
    I've lately been considering swapping out the mecs in my passive corvette standard for some model js, and your pleasure with this sound has gotten me rather excited. I hate to hijack this thread but do you think you could further describe the sound you got out of this setup? I plan on keeping everything passive, I use stainless steel roundwound strings, and I play with a pick for my band and fingers for jazz. As far as the tone I'm going for, I tend to favor mids and use a lot of gain to get a nice gritty distorted-like sound for my band. As for jazz i like warm and smooth, something sweet. Did you ever notice any hum with these pups? I know theyre supposed to be hum cancelling which is one reason why I'm interested in them, because my current pickups tend to hum a lot which really bugs me. Thank you in advance!
    p.s. sorry again for hijacking this thread
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And IMO and IME it's the construction & parts & woods.
    A Warwick still sounds like a Warwick even when unplugged.