Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warwick corvette standard question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DerekP, Oct 25, 2005.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    ive owned one of these for a while and im really happy with it but it does buzz( electronically) alot moreso when i want a really trebly sound or when trying to use an effect cause it just makes the buzz 10 times louder, ive taken the bass back and 2 different places have told me its normal to get a some buzz from single coils, so is this normal and will a pick up swap or something alone those lines help at all?

thanks.

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    yeah, I have a passive standard 'vette and it HAD a little hum too...the way I fixed it was to pull the electronics out, and fully shield the electronics cavity (I went a little overboard and did 2 coats of shielding paint AND copper tape, you probably wouldnt need to do that much), and the MEC's were replaced with Dimarzio ultra jazz's...now its DEAD QUiET, no hum whatsoever. plus I really love the sound of the Dimarzio's over the stock pups.

3. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    awesome thank you so much.

4. The MEC's are very noisy, and not reverse wound, so they aren't hum-cancelling when both turned on full.

I pulled out the MEC passives from my Rockbass Corvette, and replaced them.

Any single coil pup will be susceptible to some noise, but as mentioned you can minimise it by shielding your control cavity and pup routes.

Also, if you use reverse wound single coils, the noise will cancel out when both pups are on full because the pups will act as a humbucker.

That, or you could choose to install individual humbucking J style pups ;)

My Corvette is well shielded, and I have reverse wound single coils. When one pickup is soloed, there is a small amount of single coil hum. When both pups are on full, the bass is totally free from hum.

;)

5. Good tips. I also play a 'Vette standard... no hum whatsoever.

6. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unless you not really happy with the sound with the stock MECs, as others have indicated, try the shielding route first. These basses are not shielded at all so things can get a bit unpredictable room to room. I would get the pickup routes and the electronic cavities fully shielded, this should minimize the hum if not remedy altogether. It can hurt anything either, even if you decide to replace the pickups with some other brand.

7. Every Warwick I have ever had (or still do) has gotten "the treatment," which consists of aluminum foil tape on the inside of the electronics compartment cover, and perhaps a bit of graphite paint if it's a passive instrument (I simply refuse to mess with any active circuitry). I replaced the stock pickups in my fretted Std back in the day with EMG's, which really gave the instrument the bite of the Corvette Pro at a time when the instrument was not marketed in America. I kept the controls passive, and sold the instrument at a profit when I tired of it and coveted a more high-end Warwick.

I have been having fretless GAS lately (after over 2 years without one), and I know that I'll likely get a Std and mod it similarly.