warwick corvette standard vs carvin bb75

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lanzealot, Oct 26, 2005.

1. I know this thread may be a little stupid for some guys but a friend is considering a 5 stringer for a $1000-$1400 and these two are his top pick:

Warwick Corvete Standard
    Carvin BB75 (w/ swamp ash, single coil on the neck and splittable humbucker on the bridge)

If any of you guys have an experience with these two:

Which are heavier?
    Which is more versatile soundwise?

I know that most of you guys will choose the warwick but he is also considering Carvin because you can split the bridge humbucker.

He is not able to play the bass personally (so he can decide for himself) coz there are no music stores near his place so he's planning to order in the internet.

Any opinion guys? thanks!
  2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    What kind of music is he playing? You are looking at two completely different musical animals. I would take the Carvin, and I think it would be more comfortable and versatile, (I have a lb75) but either bass would be a good bass depending on the style. If he is going to play agressive music, I would definately say go with the warwick.
  3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The Carvin will be a lighter bass to play. I have tons of gig experience in all types of environments with Carvin (LB 75), and only "music store" experience with Warwick. My Carvin is equipped with J99 single coils, and I can get a ton of different tones for most styles of music. The splittable humbucker can only increase that versatility. The bass itself is under 9 pounds, and is very comfortable on a four set night. The ebony fretboard is a joy to play. BTW, I bought my Carvin used, sight unseen, and have been very suprisingly delighted with it. I'm happy I didn't follow the advice of the Carvin bashers here and elsewhere.

My very limited experience with the Corvette - I thought that the neck was very comfortable, but that the bass was a little heavier than I would like. The weight reminded me of the Spector that I used to lug around (now collecting dust, but that's another story). I thought that the sound of the Corvette was fine - it sounds like a Warwick, which is pretty damn good! I can't speak to the versatility of it.

Your friend can't go wrong either way. Either of these basses bought used will represent terrific bang for the buck.
  4. thanks guys!

Elif: He's a jack of all trades kind of guy in music that's why he is looking for an all-around bass. Does your LB75 have a good balance in it? What shape and feel do of a different bass can you compare it to? Does it have fast neck too?

Commrman: Yeah, you're right. Every now and then, some guy would say that Carvin basses sound generic and all that. Regarding the j99 single coil (especially on the bridge), do you have an experience with a humbucker? I'm kinda interested in Carvin basses too.

Which pick-up (J99 compared to the humbucker on the bridge) is better for which kind of music? Like with Ellif, does your LB75 have a good balance in it? What shape and feel do of a different bass can you compare it to? Does it have fast neck too?
  5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Lanz -

The J99 single coils can be described as warm with a good top end bite. They definitely can cut through a mix. I swapped them out for Nordstrand single coils recently for three gigs, and wound up putting the J99's back in. No knock on the Nords - they do the vintage growl thing great, but in the end they weren't my cup of tea. The humbucker is FAT and crisp, especially with steel roundwounds. I get a great tone with D'addario Pro Steels (.135 B) with my Carvin. The LB 75 balances extremely well, and I understand that the BB is even better in that department. They both use the same electronics.

Carvins are not generic. I use mine for a very wide variety of styles - R&B/Motown, grunge, metal, pop, jazz, standards, country, and have always been able to dial in an appropriate tone for the situation.

The neck is lightning fast. It's 1.75" at the nut, and you can have either 17 or 19 mm spacing at the bridge. The radius is fairly flat. The Carvin ebony fretboard is a dream to play. I don't know how they get away with offering some of thier options (figured tops, etc) so inexpensively. You should check out Ed Friedland's or Bunny Brunel's websites to hear great soundclips, so you can make up your own mind.
  6. I own 2 corvette body types and an LB76.

Nothing that hasn't been said in other threads. Warwick heavier. Carvin more versatile and more comfy neck (FNA jazzman's come close in versatility). The coil splitter on the Carvin is actually amazing. I love i get the humbucking sound and even a jazz bass-like sound from the same bass. Warwick can't do that with its splitter. But at the same time the carvin is not a warwick. Doesn't have that growl i have come to love. My GK head can't add in the natural growl the warwick gives off to the carvin.

In regards to the cutting through comment above, in both recordings and live situations my warwick has blown away the carvin in terms of cutting through for rock style music. I take the carvin for blues and jazz shows though.

They're completely different sounding basses... your friend should decide which sound is for him really. And all of this summed up with this is an opinion of mine, and not fact, regards.
  7. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Carvin is lighter. Warwick is heavier. Warwick sounds heavier....the woods and construction of the Warwick are like having a wood version of a Modulus. Guess which i would choose?
  8. uhm.... Lakland?
  9. Well I have two carvin's and I think they're both the cat's pajamas...they do everything and more you ask them to, they are pretty much my swiss army knife bass.
    I have an LB-75A with a quilt top, and alder back, it's got two J pickups and it does everything.
    I've had some experience with the Warwick, I think that they're great basses, they're a little heavy and they have a very distinctive tone, which I like, but others don't...They aren't for everyone, but if that's your cup of tea then go get one.