Warwick Corvette Standard vs. Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philthy, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I presently own a EB MM Sterling Bass which is under a year old. It's a great bass, no doubt, and has a great feel but as you might know it's kinda lacking in the lows. I play hard rock/heavy metal along the lines of Godsmack and Disturbed. I've also been recording with the Sterling and I am not 100% happy with the sound. It actually sounds kinda flat. I've been contemplating selling it and getting a Warwick Corvette Standard with Active electronics with the active/passive push/pull switch. Anybody out there have any suggestions? Has anyone done a comparison between the two? Any advice? Thanks!!!!
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The Corvette standard is a decent bass. Look around a bit more and see if you can pick up a Streamer LX or a Corvette Pro line, or a Thumb Bolt on. Much better basses in my opinion.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Keep the Sterling.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    You know.. i'm a bit biased but I just love the Tone and playability or Ernie Ball basses.. I do not own a Sterling so i can't really comment on yours. But as far as getting a warwick, If you want a warwick, get it, they are great basses. You can't go wrong with either. I've been thinking about getting a warwick corvette pro fretless.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lacking in the lows? Flat???

My Sterling has terrifying bottom. Are you using the on-board three band eq? Sounds like an amplification issue to me.

Of course, he who dies with the most toys wins. Get a Warwick, too!
  6. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I'm playing through a SWR Bass 350 along with a Goliath III (4x10) and an Son of Bertha (1x15). And I'm definitely using the on board EQ. So, I don't thing it's a question of amplification. Maybe I'm having a problem with my on board EQ. I've noticed that when I boost the bass and Treble and keep the mid flat I get some distortion when I strike the E string hard. I lowered the pickup and it went away a bit. So, maybe there's a problem with my on board preamp. I really like this bass but it has not been making me happy while recording. I don't know.

7. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    thanks for the article. I've really been looking for a direct comparison of these two instruments. A great read.
  8. Go for the Warwick. It's a made-in Germany bass, so it's top-quality gear. Warwick has very nice lows, ideal for metal. Warwick's are perfect for pick-style playing.