1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARWICK CORVETTE STANDARD ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassarch, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    Recently bought a used warwick corvette standard .The interesting thing is I have never seen a warwick corvette standard with fretmarkers on the fingerboard like this one .
    Does anyone have any information about that =?

one more thing .The body is bubinga ? isnt it?

Attached Files:

2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Those markers are sort of strange...I know that Warwick makes some models that do have fretboard markers, but I've never seen them on a corvette before. Too bad that they made them so big, IMO, they look sort of out of place.

And yes, the body (and probably neck too) is made of Bubinga.

3. body is bubinga

dot markers are an extra option, someone just fronted the money to have those.

4. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Position markers, eew...

I just bought a new corvette standard, love it to death. I used to have a corvette proline, but after playing it a while I never really used the active electronics. After you've played warwick for a while (and if you like it) no other bass feels or sounds right.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I had never liked WARWICKs until i played that one bassarch bought.Yes I would buy it if he didn't and I can't sleep for a couple of days...Man that bass was AWESOME and price was lika a joke :bawl: I had been waiting something like this for a while,and I missed it...Well one last thing,Warwick has a new fan!! :bassist:
    (check pm bassarch)

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Looks like the power of the Wick has converted another former non believer! Welcome to the sickness!;)

8. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    looks like you have an old warwick, judging from the way the head is coated. thats a great thing, for they were handmade back then before 2000. I say who cares about the fretmarker's looks, i bet it sounds just tone-gasmic. the body is bubinga, the neck is ovangkol and the fretboard is wenge. i got a corvette standard too but its a 2004. i recently defretted it, its sweeeeet~ id definately try to get hold of an old one sometime though! ur really lucky to have that bass!

9. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I don't think he necessarily has an older model. Almost all of the Corvettes I've seen and played have had that "coating" (it's actually a thin ebony laminate). Plus, it looks like he's got the plastic nut, as opposed to the brass Just-a-Nut that they used before selling out to GC

I don't know if bassarch cares about dating the bass, but you can find out fairly simply by looking at the last two digits in the serial number. They'll tell you the year in which the bass was made. In addition, the letter preceeding the date will give you the month as well. A = January, B = February, etc.

10. bassarch

bassarch

Jul 24, 2001
    Istanbul
    well contrary to the general impression the dot markers were the 1st thing that attracted me to the bass.BecausE I have always admired the tone of bubinga corvettes.Very deep low end growl which I adore .But from the looks department I always had a thought in my mind that the corvettes should have dot markers like its ltd edition brothers.Strangely it was the only reason that I didnt buy a corvette up to this day.And about a week ago ....god heard me I suppose :)

By the way a few details.The production date is 98 and the neck is definitely wenge like the fretboard,not ovangkol .I dont appreciate the new radius on the ovangkols :simply uncomfortable for me .
    It always makes me wonder who was the genius! to change that neck shape ...:eyebrow: :scowl: