Warwick Corvette Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faultyy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. faultyy

faultyy

Dec 19, 2007
    Hey, my student loan is coming up soon and being the responsible adult i am i've decided to blow a chunk of it on a Warwick Corvette Standard Active, I have a couple of questions though if anyone who knows about Warwicks has some time to waste helping me.

Firstly i've heared mixed reviews about the MEC pickups, so would i be better off spending a bit more and getting a pair of seymore duncan quater pounders? (i play a lot of punk, ska and dub by the way)

And finally would it be possible to re dye it a colour of my choosing without having to take sand paper to it or should i just pay the extra for a green one thats been coloured properly?

Thanks in advance

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    You can get an ash one in green for probably not much more. I don't really know if the Corvette is the best bass for those styles though, to be honest. If you wanted to get them to put in a P/J pickup combo, it would be a lot more suited, IMO.

3. MacktheKnife

MacktheKnife

Dec 5, 2007
    England
    Pay extra for the green one.

MEC pickups are fine, I don't see why they would need changing.

Also unsure why the previous poster thinks it won't be fine with ska, punk etc.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    It's a pretty versatile instrument. You should be fine with it for those styles. The MECs have a nice growly "dry" sound that would suit those genres very well. Fork out the little bit extra and get the factory finish.

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    the pickups aren't the problem, it's the MEC preamps. I suggest you find one in green and play with the bass stock for a several months. Then, if you choose, switch out the preamp. Familiarize yourself with the sound first, using it in several scenarios (live, recording, etc) so you can really know if there is something you would change.

For the record, I put in an STC3a and AJB5 pickups from Duncan and my warwick growl increased tenfold.

Have you played a corvette before?

6. faultyy

faultyy

Dec 19, 2007
    I've played my friends double buck (not sure if i can convince myself to spend that much though) and i've played a passive one but not the active. Also i havn't played either of them for that long, but long enough to know i have to have a Warwick if that makes any sense. Also thanks for the advice, i'l spend the extra on the finish and not risk messing it up

7. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    IMHO, the passive Corvette has a better tone, I tried both before I got mine, I already have a couple active basses, a Spector and a Bongo, so I was predisposed towards active, but the passive Corvette just seemed more growly and seemed to sit in the mix better with my fairly loud rock band.....YMMV

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021